Software updates

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
7Iron

Post by 7Iron »

Hi Guys,

Next silly question time !

My car (XC40 T5 Recharge) was registered 4/9/20, I got it last week.

Found it very good that Volvo offer free updates for the SatNav, ( LandRover would charge an arm and a leg for this) and see that a new version of the UK maps was released early in December.

Question is, how can I determine what the release level of the SatNav map software is installed in the vehicle, do not want to go through download and install if it is the same release.

Thanks

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

So, Volvo release Map updates on a regular basis. They complete globe works out about 50GB. This can take an age to download. My preferred option is to set a region as my home region. So, the UK region download is about 2.25GB and can be set automatically to download as updates become available. If you go online and choose Volvo Support, they will tell you if an update is available (the car does this also).
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Pork Balls

Post by Pork Balls »

I install map updates via the car's SIM card. That way you can turn on auto updates and the car will only install the update that it needs. So no reason to know the version number of the update.

Also the file size that comes in over the airwaves is a lot (really a lot) smaller than the update available from the Volvo support site. That file is Gbs big, needs to be downloaded from PC, moved to a USB stick, inserted into the car, wait for install (it takes ages).

Doing it via the car's SIM is a far easy prospect. It's fit and forget, just let it happen.
Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

Make sure you have a SIM card in the boot receptacle. Make sure settings, communications, in car WiFi is set to use your data sim. Then go to updates, maps, north west Europe, touch the down arrow, the display will tell you what version you’re on, but forget that and just tick the box for auto updates. After that forget it.

The first update may not happen straight away but the car checks periodically and updates if needed.

Pete
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.