Internet connected car.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
7Iron

Post by 7Iron »

Hi guys,

Just got an XC40 T5 recharge, reading the books it tells me that I can put in my own SIM card for internet connectivity.

I have not looked in the luggage area SIM slot, is there a card in there from Volvo, if not then how does the car communicate for the Volvo on call app.

What are the benefits of fitting your own SIM and what is the most cost effective way of doing this.

Thanks

Ano Nimouse

Post by Ano Nimouse »

No there isn't a SIM, or at least one you can access or see. There must be something as the car does connect with Volvo.

A user SIM can be fitted in the slot provided and this will give access to the internet for the various apps present in the car eg Spotify etc. Also it will give access to real time traffic info for the satnav. People in the car can also connect to the hotspot that can be created.

Cost effective.
Volvo provide a 100gb SIM for free - if you ask. At least they did.

Also a 3 network SIM 24Gb/12 months can be bought from Amazon/Argos for between £36- 45, depending on the deals.

With a user SIM you can update your satnav maps, more quickly and easier than downloading and installing via a usb stick.