Internet connected car.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
7Iron

Post by 7Iron »

Hi guys,

Just got an XC40 T5 recharge, reading the books it tells me that I can put in my own SIM card for internet connectivity.

I have not looked in the luggage area SIM slot, is there a card in there from Volvo, if not then how does the car communicate for the Volvo on call app.

What are the benefits of fitting your own SIM and what is the most cost effective way of doing this.

Thanks

Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

The car has a separate, Volvo controlled data connection for the small amounts of data used for Volvo on call.

Own sim good for map updates or app downloads, and in car wifi.

Your dealer should have given you, or preinstalled for you, a Vodafone sim with a year’s free data. Check if your car has one or ask the dealer. That sim becomes expensive after the first year. Lots of people on here recommend a three “internet with legs” sim, which gives 24GB data over 2 years for £60 if you buy from three, but only about £40 if you buy off Amazon.
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.
Ano Nimouse

Post by Ano Nimouse »

No there isn't a SIM, or at least one you can access or see. There must be something as the car does connect with Volvo.

A user SIM can be fitted in the slot provided and this will give access to the internet for the various apps present in the car eg Spotify etc. Also it will give access to real time traffic info for the satnav. People in the car can also connect to the hotspot that can be created.

Cost effective.
Volvo provide a 100gb SIM for free - if you ask. At least they did.

Also a 3 network SIM 24Gb/12 months can be bought from Amazon/Argos for between £36- 45, depending on the deals.
Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

Three Mobile Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband 24 GB data SIM

Only £36 just now
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

There are two SIMS in the car potentially. One is there as part of the car to do the VOC etc. The second (p-SIM) is optional and gives live feed data for the sat nav , apps and wifi for the car. Recent new cars came with a Vodafone sim in the P-sim. Seems a nightmare to set up. I use a 3 internet with legs sim as my P-sim.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
John Dough

Post by John Dough »

The car connects to Volvo On Call via some means, but it isn't a user accessible SIM card.

A slot exists, in the boot, for a conventional SIM card. Volvo supply a free 100gb card, and have done for some time, well over 12 months. There are a small number of complaints, on this forum, about the setting up of the free SIM, but for the vast majority there are no issues.

Another easy way is to obtain a 3 Network data only SIM for about £36 for 24gb/2 years and install that yourself.

Personally I found the free Volvo card easy to install and trouble free, and it's free.
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

7Iron wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:18 pm Hi guys,

Just got an XC40 T5 recharge, reading the books it tells me that I can put in my own SIM card for internet connectivity.

I have not looked in the luggage area SIM slot, is there a card in there from Volvo, if not then how does the car communicate for the Volvo on call app.

What are the benefits of fitting your own SIM and what is the most cost effective way of doing this.

Thanks

Here you are:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAE
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic
7Iron

Post by 7Iron »

Thanks to all who responded, have bought the 3 Internet with legs card, £36 on Amazon, arrives Monday, will try installation then.
Bootcamper

Post by Bootcamper »

Installed the 3 SIM two days ago and connected immediately with no problems.