Volvo on call app misbehaves

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Cagz

Post by Cagz »

This started 2-3 days ago. On the app, I can see all the real-time info regarding the car, correct temperature, fuel level even the most recent journey details. But when I send a command to the car (remote start, flash lights or lock/unlock) app waits waits waits and times out.

Having up to date information makes me think app and the car can communicate so not sure what is causing commands to fail.

Has anyone had a similar issue ? Any known way of "resetting" things ?
T3 R-Design MY21 (without paddles :cry:)

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

When did you last drive the car? Has it gone to sleep?
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Cagz

Post by Cagz »

@blastpipe, been driving every day, so I don't think it is a sleep issue (unless it somehow went to sleep and not waking up)
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

When my commands fail it's usually a WiFi or network failing. It always works on my drive where connectivity is good. Not so good in some places where the signal is weak.
Cagz

Post by Cagz »

Figured this one out. I just noticed that the issue has started about 3 days after car's arrival and remote operations were just working fine for those three days. This is the time it took for me to configure internal modem, and internal modem sim has bad reception in my area, hence remote control was failing. Everything went back to normal today when I turned off car modem.

I suppose remote control normally uses on-call's built-in sim, but it prefers car modem if it is activated ? A cost saving trick perhaps.
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

Your correct, if extra sim fitted then VOC uses this Sim not the built in one.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Whiterdesign wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:08 pm Your correct, if extra sim fitted then VOC uses this Sim not the built in one.
The built in Volvo SIM is operating in roaming, it’s not linked to a single network. It will connect to any network with data coverage in the area, thus providing the best possible connectivity for VOC services in case of need. The extra SIM is linked to a single network and therefore can have limited coverage in some areas.