Dim Dipped Headlights

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Unlike other Volvos the XC40 doesn't have adaptive headlights (called by Volvo "Adaptive Shadow Technology"). These detect other vehicles and maintain full beam without dazzling them.

It has Active High Beam, which just switches between dipped and main automatically. This is standard across the range,

It also has Active Bending Headlights, which simply swivel left or right in conjunction with the steering wheel. This is standard on the Pro models.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

XC40 headlights are very good, proven also by IIHS tests that contain evaluation for headlights. Standard headlights (with no bending / no curve adaptive) receive a poor IIHS rating only because of excessive glare for incoming traffic, all other measurements being good. Active bending headlights create lower glare and receive a good rating, putting the overall results for XC40 as 2020 Top Safety Pick.

Actually, the driver of XC40 will experience better road illumination with standard headlights that have longer reach of low beams than active bending headlight. For details see charts in the link: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/vo ... headlights
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Metroman wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:20 pm I find that the headlamps on the XC40 are far and away the best I have had on any car I have owned, the dipped beam is OK for the most part on unlit roads but even better to use the high beam. I used to have a C4 picasso and the standard lamps were dreadful, just about passable with upgrade bulbs but still woeful in comparison to the XC.

You won't be able to upgrade any of the bulbs in the headlamp unit as there aren't any, they are solid state LED emitters.

Have you checked that the levelling and or aim are correct? This might be the problem.
Thanks! Yes, the high beams are great but when on dipped due to oncoming oncoming traffic I find the lights to be very poor.
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Sam Squid wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:49 pm Best lights I've ever had. Haven't used the high beam yet.

Are you definitely using dim beam rather than the side lights.
Thanks but yes I am quite sure otherwise I would be in the nearside ditch! 🥴
Last edited by EmJay on Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic
Closing Sale

Post by Closing Sale »

EmJay wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:26 pm
Sam Squid wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:49 pm Best lights I've ever had. Haven't used the high beam yet.

Thanks but yes I am quite sure otherwiseI would be in the nearside ditch! 🥴
You'd be surprised how many drive on parking lights or no lights, never mind daylight running lights 😀
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Closing Sale wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:25 pm

You'd be surprised how many drive on parking lights or no lights, never mind daylight running lights 😀
Agree. Very foggy here today and the amount of cars driving on day running lights. Guess they don’t realise their back lights aren’t on.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Closing Sale

Post by Closing Sale »

Chris John wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:28 pm
Closing Sale wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:25 pm

Agree. Very foggy here today and the amount of cars driving on day running lights. Guess they don’t realise their back lights aren’t on.
Agree. Although I believe the XC40 daylight running lights do have the rears lit. Haven't checked but think it's then case.

Many don't though, just front lights.
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

Rear lights only work if you have the light switch in auto, if not only the front DRL come on during the day.
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

Whiterdesign wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:07 pm Rear lights only work if you have the light switch in auto, if not only the front DRL come on during the day.
That's good to know. I've never been out of auto lights since I bought it.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Whiterdesign wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:07 pm Rear lights only work if you have the light switch in auto, if not only the front DRL come on during the day.
I find that explanation a little confusing, i'm waiting for my XC, so can't check myself. If the light switch is in auto position, during the daytime are DRL's both front and rear, or only front?
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21