Dim Dipped Headlights

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Does anyone else find that the dipped headlights are not bright enough on dark country roads with oncoming traffic?

Secondly, is it possible to upgrade the bulbs/ filaments?
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic

Metroman

Post by Metroman »

I find that the headlamps on the XC40 are far and away the best I have had on any car I have owned, the dipped beam is OK for the most part on unlit roads but even better to use the high beam. I used to have a C4 picasso and the standard lamps were dreadful, just about passable with upgrade bulbs but still woeful in comparison to the XC.

You won't be able to upgrade any of the bulbs in the headlamp unit as there aren't any, they are solid state LED emitters.

Have you checked that the levelling and or aim are correct? This might be the problem.
Last edited by Metroman on Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Hi,
I didn't notice anything like this.

May be, however, you have a different lite configuration.
Sam Squid

Post by Sam Squid »

Best lights I've ever had. Haven't used the high beam yet.

Are you definitely using dim beam rather than the side lights.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I agree with Sam Squid...best headlights ever
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Sam Squid wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:49 pm Best lights I've ever had. Haven't used the high beam yet.

Are you definitely using dim beam rather than the side lights.
Speaking of HighBeam, I have discovered that they can be set to Auto-mode. They will run on High, but as soon as car detected in front - it goes to Low automatically.
Really great feature.
Sam Squid

Post by Sam Squid »

Pity that when you need it most, when it's dark, you can't see the lighting control.

Fancy lights lighting up the top of the doors and door bin though 😀
Sam Squid

Post by Sam Squid »

Haven't tried the auto full beam facility. If the other auto features of the car are anything to go by I don't think I will 😀
papalimafoxtrot

Post by papalimafoxtrot »

In my experience The adaptive headlamp system works absolutely brilliantly and the sensitivity level can be selected too. Never failed to dip for oncoming cars and also street lighting. Not sure as I write if it has been dipping for cars ahead eg that have just overtaken, but easily overridden manually.
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

Do Volvo's have an adaptive lighting system? My RDesign just has the active system where the light just switches from dipped to main beam and back. Wish mine had the adaptive system. Is that just on the Inscription models?