Dim Dipped Headlights

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Felindre wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:30 am
Whiterdesign wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:07 pm Rear lights only work if you have the light switch in auto, if not only the front DRL come on during the day.
I find that explanation a little confusing, i'm waiting for my XC, so can't check myself. If the light switch is in auto position, during the daytime are DRL's both front and rear, or only front?
I was also confused about this since my previous cars with auto lights had only front special DRL turned on during daytime. With Volvo, when light switch is in auto position both front DRL and rear position lights are turned on during daytime driving. Front DRL are powerful white LED (Thor Hammer) visible for incoming traffic from long distance, whereas rear DRL are the usual rear position lights, soft red LED used also for night driving. See the lamps diagram bellow.

7014F1D9-C40C-4F38-8D4D-8A05A2F42B67.jpeg

jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

This is true, it's even in the manual:

IMG_0338.jpg

T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Great, that's suits me fine. My current Tig only has front DRL, and with my year and previous it's impossible to change. With later VW models, including my wife's T-Cross, you can get into the control modules and enable the tail lights for DRL which i've done.

Thanks for the clarification.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Slide Ways

Post by Slide Ways »

Whiterdesign wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:07 pm Rear lights only work if you have the light switch in auto, if not only the front DRL come on during the day.
Rear lights in conjunction with DRL work in two positions - Auto, as you say, and the DRL position (position 2 on the stalk). The only instance where DRL work without the rear lights is the 0 position.
StewartM

Post by StewartM »

I think this was how Volvo got round Eu law saying rear lights were not to be on with DRL.

I believe things are more relaxed now, with Renault and SEAT for example, with LED rears rather than filament having them on with DRL.
Rear lights on with DRL is known as Scandinavian Mode.