All sound gone!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

Weird one - just got in my car and all audio from anyhing (radio, indicators, parking sensors etc) has been replaced by digital static. It's actually like a ticking sound but composed of white noise. It was ok yesterday, except that one occasion the audible alert for a speed camera caused the volume to drop on the radio and I wasn't able to get any volume back until it happened again...

Got a big drive home tonight so hopefully not the start of something worse :(
T5R Fusion Red 03/19

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Just a random blip I reckon..the joys of modern technology
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

would you happen to have had your boot loaded up with boxes etc?
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I had the same problem. The summer software recall update squashed this bug in my case. Meanwhile, there’s been another system software update for XC40, so your problem should be solved during your next Volvo service visit.
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

ciuncky wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:01 am would you happen to have had your boot loaded up with boxes etc?
Nope, empty.

It was fixed when I went back to the car 3 hours later and no further problems on my 3 hour drive home.

My last S/W update was in March and won't see the dealer again until next March (hopefully).
T5R Fusion Red 03/19
Sam Squid

Post by Sam Squid »

Had this happen once a few months ago. Solved it at the time by switching off, getting out, locking, unlocking, getting back in, switching on.

A simple switch off and on within the car didn't work.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

gmdh555 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:12 pm
My last S/W update was in March and won't see the dealer again until next March (hopefully).
[/quote]

You should have received a recall letter from your dealer months ago. The software update addresses several issues, not to mention the critical patch that led to the recall, so waiting until next March might not be such a good idea...
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:21 pm
gmdh555 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:12 pm
You should have received a recall letter from your dealer months ago. The software update addresses several issues, not to mention the critical patch that led to the recall, so waiting until next March might not be such a good idea...
[/quote]

I did get the letter but whatever checks I did at the time (feels like a lifetime ago) reassured me that I would have already got the critical update in my March service
T5R Fusion Red 03/19
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

This is another unfortunately frequent example of a software glitch which I experienced some months ago. I switched off, locked the doors and waited a few minutes and all was fine.
Cars, in my opinion, are far to complicated these days, with unnecessary items. Bring back the dipstick!