Climate while in Hybrid / Electric

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
xc40_2020

Post by xc40_2020 »

Does anyone have issues w/ the climate while the car is in electric, either while in hybrid or Pure electric?
Setting the internal temperature at 27 degrees or 'Hi' doesn't do anything. Only outside cold air comes up.
Eddie - Black / Amber xc40 T5 Inscription Hybrid plug-in - Innovation and Audio & Lounge Pack - Ordered 22-06-20 - Collected 23-09-20.

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

27 degrees! Are you driving in the nude? :o
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Wheaters55

Post by Wheaters55 »

YES!!!! I mainly drive in hybrid mode that rarely starts the dirty engine. Ever since the weather turned the car is always cold no matter what I set in the climate app. I suspect it has something to do with 'eco climate' while using the hybrid battery but I can't find how to stop it apart from driving with the engine running.
T5 Recharge Inscription, Crystal White, Charcoal interior, tinted rear windows + space saver spare.
Delivered 15 Sep 20
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Sounds logical for the small battery of the T5 Recharge driven in pure electric mode to allow only seat and steering wheel electric heating. I don’t believe there’s a battery powered heat pump in the PHEV.
xc40_2020

Post by xc40_2020 »

eugen61 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:27 am Sounds logical for the small battery of the T5 Recharge driven in pure electric mode to allow only seat and steering wheel electric heating. I don’t believe there’s a battery powered heat pump in the PHEV.
Ok but when in hybrid shouldn't start the actual engine if it's required? to me, asking for a warm temperature should justify that.
I didn't try to put it in Power mode and see what happens. I'll try.
Eddie - Black / Amber xc40 T5 Inscription Hybrid plug-in - Innovation and Audio & Lounge Pack - Ordered 22-06-20 - Collected 23-09-20.
xc40_2020

Post by xc40_2020 »

Rifleman wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:02 pm 27 degrees! Are you driving in the nude? :o
ahah, I just put it at max to see if any hot air would come out. No luck.
I also tried activating the AC. Still nothing (while in Hybrid or Pure).
Bill Payer

Post by Bill Payer »

I think this is pretty normal for an hybrid running electric, or total electric. Heat is energy and you need it for the propulsion.
If you need heat switch on the petrol.

Batteries just are not there yet. Hybrids ok for the tax breaks, not quite ready for the travel.
xc40_2020

Post by xc40_2020 »

Wheaters55 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:37 pm YES!!!! I mainly drive in hybrid mode that rarely starts the dirty engine. Ever since the weather turned the car is always cold no matter what I set in the climate app. I suspect it has something to do with 'eco climate' while using the hybrid battery but I can't find how to stop it apart from driving with the engine running.
This is interesting. You might be right.
In the manual:

Code: Select all

When changing between the Hybrid
and Pure drive modes, the calculated distance
increases since the Pure mode has reduced
climate settings (ECO climate).
=> has reduced climate settings (ECO climate)

Don't get me wrong. I understand that while in electric the heaters would have a big impact on the battery, but if I'm asking for hot air, that should take priority.
xc40_2020

Post by xc40_2020 »

I've just set this from the page 223 of the manual:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activating and deactivating automatic start of auxiliary heater

The auxiliary heater helps to heat the passenger compartment and engine while driving.

It is possible to set whether automatic start for the additional heater should be activated/deactivated.
1. Press Settings in the top view in the centre display.
2. Press Climate.
3. Select Additional Heater to activate/deactivate automatic start of the additional heater.

NOTE
Volvo recommends that the automatic start for the additional heater should be switched off for short driving distances.21

NOTE
If the auxiliary heater's automatic starting is deactivated, this may impede comfort in the passenger compartment as the climate control system will then have no heat source during electrical operation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this still doesn't work, I'll just set it to Power.
xc40_2020

Post by xc40_2020 »

xc40_2020 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:31 am I've just set this from the page 223 of the manual:

Activating and deactivating automatic start of auxiliary heater

The auxiliary heater helps to heat the passenger compartment and engine while driving.

It is possible to set whether automatic start for the additional heater should be activated/deactivated.
1. Press Settings in the top view in the centre display.
2. Press Climate.
3. Select Additional Heater to activate/deactivate automatic start of the additional heater.

NOTE
Volvo recommends that the automatic start for the additional heater should be switched off for short driving distances.21

NOTE
If the auxiliary heater's automatic starting is deactivated, this may impede comfort in the passenger compartment as the climate control system will then have no heat source during electrical operation.

If this still doesn't work, I'll just set it to Power.
I can confirm this is working