XC40 EV Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
SmvXC40

Post by SmvXC40 »

Hi All, hoping someone on here can help me with the best way to get an affordable solution for properly charging my Volvo via a 3 pin plug.

To be honest I’m very surprised/frustrated about the attitude of Volvo regarding this and what they supply you with as standard.

Basically they give you a 3 pin plug type 2 charging cable that is 3 meters in length with the car. Basically unless you can park your car right next to a plug socket you have no chance. I spoke to Volvo about a longer cable and they basically said that I can buy one from them for £400 + depending on length required...

As you cannot plug them into any type of extension cable (that I’m aware of, this is query number 1) what other option do I have than to buy a new one? Also Volvo informed me on the phone that if it wasn’t their supplied charger it could cause issues with the batteries/charger which could void the warranty!!?

So my final question is that, because I have a 10 metre pod point charger which came with the home installation of my pod point, does anyone know of anyway to get an adapter to plug on the end to convert to 3 pin plug? Seems crazy to spend hundreds of £ on a new cable when I have a 10 metre one that could be adapted for use away from home.

All advice welcome 👍

RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

The joys of Type2 versus 3pin charging!

Firstly, if your Volvo cable really is 3m long I'd shout up to your dealer - it should be 7m.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether you use a Volvo cable or not. I had a charging issue with my previous PHEV, a 330e. At the time BMW asked me what I used to charge up - I told them only their 3pin cable - even though like you I too have a Type 2 cable. They never queried it. Just make sure the right one is in the car if it has to back!

You can't get an adapter to attach to a type 2 to so that you can use a 3pin to my knowledge. In any event you would be creating the same effect as using an extension lead in part, which you rightly state is a no-no.

I am assuming you have need to charge on a 3pin socket away from home? Otherwise in my experience I just use my type 2 cable anywhere I can find a free public charging PodPoint. The only place I would use a 3pin would be at the In-laws home. Some workplaces have paid electricians to install custom chargepoints but instead of having Type2 charge compatible sockets they fit 3pin sockets. My accountant for one has done this. Who is dictating this I don't know but it is just muddying the waters when the main effort of the industry is to have Type2 as the universal access type away from the home.

So, hopefully this can be solved for you by getting the right length cable that you should have had supplied with the car.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.
SmvXC40

Post by SmvXC40 »

Thanks for the reply. You’ve pretty much confirmed what I thought so thank you for confirming that I’m not really missing anything obvious here. Yep, definitely 3 metres... I mean it doesn’t even stretch the full length of the car. How do you know that it should be supplied with a 7metre charging cable? Do you know where it says this or somewhere on the site that will allow me to challenge this is black and white?

I’ll call them tomorrow.

Thanks
RealGoneKid

Post by RealGoneKid »

If you start a build of a new car PHEV configuration on the Volvo website you will find 7m is eventually mentioned amongst the spec list. I can't measure my cable right now but having used it where some significant length was required I know it is definitely longer than 3m.
T5 Recharge PHEV MY21, R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Lounge & Climate packs. New purchase from dealer stock Oct 20. Ceramic Coated after purchase.
PP1981

Post by PP1981 »

Can you get an electrician to fit an outdoor plug socket (normal 3 pin type) where you park the car?
XC40 T3 Auto R-Design Pro MY2021 Fusion Red with Versatility Pack, Climate Pack, Wireless Charging Pad, Electronic Child Locks, Sunglasses Holder, Genuine Folding Rear Metal Safety Guard and Mud Flaps..
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

At the risk of over simplifying things, can you not just use an extension lead with a waterproof socket? £20 for a 10m lead from screwfix?
(Order no 4097x)

Screenshot_20201029_230820_com.screwfix.quickshop.jpg

D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
Leoniums

Post by Leoniums »

RealGoneKid wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:07 am If you start a build of a new car PHEV configuration on the Volvo website you will find 7m is eventually mentioned amongst the spec list.
Can you please post a screen ahot or a link to that info? I cant find it...
Bernard Bernardsson

Screenshot_20201030_181440_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

From 2021 MY price list/specifications
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Bernard Bernardsson

Cables showing as £50,maybe they've given you the 4.5m one?

Feel free to ignore me sticking my big hooter in, I'm still a fully dieseled up dinosaur and don't understand all this elektrikery... (© Catweasel 1970's)!

Screenshot_20201030_182852_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

virtualal

Post by virtualal »

I got caught out on the cable thing when we purchased ours. When you read it carefully the £50 option is for Volvo to take a 3 pin cable out of your car at the factory and swap it for a Type 2 (7m). If you want 2 different cables the type 2 - as an additional and second cable is £325 !!
T5 R Design Hybrid