Checking oil level

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

The manual contradicts itself regarding checking the oil level.

9F1C2FB5-2119-4D9D-B1EF-CFC2BCB82A07.jpeg

First it says “ The oil level is visualised ....... in the centre display when the car has been started”

Then the note below says “The car must have ......stationary for 5 minutes with the engine switched off”

So do you check it with the engine running or not? Or have I gone a bit 🤪

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I read that as when the oil has been changed the car must be driven etc.
When just checking start the car and check
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

That is correct - the instructions are regarding an oil change or adding oil to the engine. After changing or adding oil the car must be driven and then sit so the level sensor can calibrate to the new oil level. After than then you can check it normally.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

What a palava! This post shows how unnecessary and useless these sensors are. Bring back the dipstick!
Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

A message came on the other day “add 1 litre of oil”. So I did, and it bought it up to exactly full. So I would give a 👍🏻 to sensors.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Doesn’t it seem odd to check the oil level with the engine RUNNING after years of having to let the hot oil settle back in the sump before wielding the traditional dipstick?
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

WelshRobin wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:51 pm Doesn’t it seem odd to check the oil level with the engine RUNNING after years of having to let the hot oil settle back in the sump before wielding the traditional dipstick?
Exactly! As for the accuracy of the sensor, the number of erroneous oil level messages I have had leaves me with no faith in them whatsoever. The dipstick was fool proof, and you could verify the oil had been changed by the colour, as opposed to reading ' x.x' litres of oil on a service sheet.
TechnoNerd

Post by TechnoNerd »

I think they call it "Progress"!
It's also in "The Less You Know The Better" tradition. ;)
2020 XC40 T5 AWD Momentum, Thunder Grey / Oxide Red Leather (US Specs)
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

ACertainAge wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:01 pm
WelshRobin wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:51 pm Doesn’t it seem odd to check the oil level with the engine RUNNING after years of having to let the hot oil settle back in the sump before wielding the traditional dipstick?
Exactly! As for the accuracy of the sensor, the number of erroneous oil level messages I have had leaves me with no faith in them whatsoever. The dipstick was fool proof, and you could verify the oil had been changed by the colour, as opposed to reading ' x.x' litres of oil on a service sheet.
If you’ve had false oil level messages you should get it checked out.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras