Profile problems.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Tortosi

Post by Tortosi »

Hi.
I just posted this in the Introductions area and now feel stupid. You will see why when you get to end of the next paragraph.

Into our second year with our lovely D4 R Design Pro in Osmium Grey with a few extras.
It's been a fantastic car for us as it was A) The first brand new car we've ever had, and B) The first "Premium" brand car we've ever had.
BUT (there's always a but) we have had a niggling problem with profile settings that I wonder if any one else can shed a light on.
(If there is a special place to post problems please let me know)

There are two profiles set up on the car Me and my Wife.
The profiles are not protected or linked to the keys.
When one of us gets in the car we go to driver profiles, touch our name then confirm. The mirrors change, the dashboard display, radio etc etc but NOT the seats!! We have to press the 1 or 2 button on the door to get our seat position (which it remembers)
We have just got it back from the dealers where the problem was to be sorted out. He said it was all done. It wasn't. My wife had driven the car there, I got back in, did the profile thing, everything altered correctly, except the seat.
Got the technician to come out and sit in the car with me while I went through the procedure (It's not unknown for me to cock things up). He couldn't make it work either no matter what. He didn't fill me with confidence when he said he would go and read up on it, as this wasn't his field of expertise.
It had just had the latest software update.
The fault only became apparent after the first service (and software update) but was intermittent. Now it wont work at all.
Any Ideas anyone??

---

Post by --- »

Hi Tortosi,

We had some problems with our profiles, especially in our first XC40, which had corrupt profiles after the main computer(s) were replaced.

Don't worry about protecting your profiles, but DO link your profiles to each key. This is, um, "key" (sorry about the pun) to fixing your problem.

In short, your key (when unlocking the car) should be what enables you to chose your profiles, and this should auto-adjust the drivers seat... You should NOT need to manually select your profile via the touch screen. Ideally, the way it's meant to work is Person 1 has a key (and a profile), and Person 2 has a key and a profile. Whichever key you use to unlock the car (e.g. the drivers door), adjusts the profile to match that key / driver.

In long... The steps I'd recommend:

1. Link each profile to a key
(do this with the other key in a metal box / outside the car).

2. Open the door after each profile change (during this set up process), and then lock the XC40.

3. Unlock the XC40 with the opposite key (i.e. different profile key), and the seat should move to the correct position.

4. In full / explaining this in full / testing:

-Set up Key 1, with say, tallest driver.
-Move set position (e.g. way back, then save as memory 1)
-Link Profile to key 1 (making sure only Key 1 is nearby), using the touch-screen
-Get out of the drivers seat
-Lock the car
-Put key 1 away (e.g. inside metal box)
-Pull out key 2
-Lock drivers door (open door)
-Seat may adjust it's self at this point (that's a good sign)
-Now set up Key 2 (move set position, save memory 2)
-Link Profile to key 2 (making sure only Key 2 is nearby), using the touch-screen
-Get out
-Lock the car
-Put key 2 away (inside metal box, or far away)
-Pull out Key 1
-Open the drivers door and watch the seat move...

That's what has worked for me...

If you're still having problems after you've tried a few attempts at the above, I'd recommend doing the factory reset. Yes, you'll have to set up everything again. But if your profiles are screwy, you're going to need it.

But try assigning the profiles to the keys (with only ONE key present at a time)... I'm hopeful that you'll be pleasantly surprised =>.
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)