All cooked up

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

My car had been parked for a hour or so. After setting off again, the climate control went into "desert storm" mode. Full fan speed on maximum heat. It became very hot, very quickly! The OAT was about 14 degs C and cabin selected temp was 21.5 degs. Selecting lower temps, even down to min LO and minimum fan speed had no effect. I stopped at the first opportunity and turned the engine off. On restarting, the system was back to normal. This is the first time in over a year's driving that I had this issue. I suspect this my be a result of the recent software up date which has also exacerbated the gearbox hesitancy problem discussed elsewhere in this forum. Anyone had experience of this computer bug?

crtony1

Post by crtony1 »

This also happened to me 2 days ago. Three hour drive on maximum heat with windows open, was like a furnace. Stopped and parked up, locked up car and waited 10 minutes several times but no effect. Got home with plans to take it back to the dealers next day problem resolved itself overnight and all seems fine again. Had car for approximately one month my2021 Xc40 T3 manual inscription.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to report all these software glitches to Volvo Customer services via the on call app? It only takes a minute to send them an email. If enough of us do it then maybe it will get someone's attention. I have only had one instance of a glitch when the screen told me my brake lights were not working. After stopping, engine off, get out then back in to the car then restarting it was all cleared. Checked lights, all ok.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I had the problem around October 2018. The next day all was fine. That's the trouble with all this hi-tec computers and software. It never happened with my Dad's 100E Ford !
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Skyrimmer wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:08 pm Does anyone think it would be a good idea to report all these software glitches to Volvo Customer services via the on call app? It only takes a minute to send them an email. If enough of us do it then maybe it will get someone's attention. I have only had one instance of a glitch when the screen told me my brake lights were not working. After stopping, engine off, get out then back in to the car then restarting it was all cleared. Checked lights, all ok.
I tried - they told me to contact nearest dealer......
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Interesting to hear other's experiences though I wouldn't bother with Customer services. Unsurprisingly, my dealer told me they couldn't replicate the problem. They gave me the same answer regarding the auto-shuffling of gears when trying to move off after a brief stop. I suspect the gear problem is a consequence of Volvo's over-engineering of the gearbox. Do we really need eight gears to acheive a smooth ride?
Deleted User 3062

Post by Deleted User 3062 »

I doubt it's a Volvo gearbox. I'd imagine they just buy them in.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I think cars are now too complicated and this leads to numerous software problems.