T3 Automatic Gearbox Issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
lethe

Post by lethe »

Hello,

I've owned an XC40 T3 with automatic gearbox for a few months now. Love the car, but there is a strange behaviour that my dealer has not been able to resolve yet (all they've tried to date is software updates/resets). I wonder if anyone here has seen or heard about this behaviour before, or has any idea what might be causing it.

Occasionally when the car tries to shift down one gear, a loud "click" is heard and the car momentarily loses throttle, as if it were in idle for a second or two. Everything then goes back to normal. This typically happens when auto-shifting down from 8th to 7th gear while climbing an incline on the motorway. It can also happen even if the gearbox mode is set to manual. I get this behaviour maybe once every four or five trips. It never happens at low speed, but it can happen when accelerating to overtake.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Hi,

I never heard any clicks at all. However I think there a moment when my car becomes dummy. This happens from time to time on low speeds.
I think it is "normal" in the city traffic, as gerbox may get a bit confused with going faster / slower and engine doesn't have enough power to compensate without turbine.

But it happens very rarely for me.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

I have a similar problem. If I have to brake firmly approaching a junction/roundabout and then, if it is clear to do so, attempt to continue straightaway, there is a second or so pause while the gearbox sorts itself out. It seems to be because the gearbox does not change down quickly enough under firm braking to be in the right gear for moving off again. This can be seen by monitoring the tachometer. It is disconcerting but the incidence is much reduced in Dynamic Drive mode for obvious reasons.
CB89

Post by CB89 »

I’ve experienced the same hesitancy when negotiating roundabouts between braking on the approach and then accelerating to pull away - I thought it was just my perception having come from a manual car. I now factor in the lag when approaching roundabouts and it seems less noticeable.
XC40 | Momentum | T3 Auto | Ice White
Ordered Feb ‘20 - Arrived end of June
lethe

Post by lethe »

Thanks for the feedback. Do either of you hear a "click" when that happens?
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

lethe wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:32 pm Thanks for the feedback. Do either of you hear a "click" when that happens?
As I've mentioned - no clicks for me.
Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

I can’t help with the clicking noise, but being hesitant at an island is normal for this type of gearbox as it’s usually in the wrong gear and has to drop a cog. My Alfa Giulietta and VW Golf both did it. Putting it in dynamic reduces it a tad, but I’m used to it now.