Speed limiter

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Anyone else finding it a bit hit n miss? Picks up signs from side streets then knocks speed down. Bit dodgy when it slows you from 60 to 30, I like to use it, but it's becoming a bit wearing to be honest, having to knock the limiter off till it picks another sign up.
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D

abby606

Post by abby606 »

The system usually picks up the road signs or defaults to GPS/map data correctly but I guess it's not magical so can't really tell if a sign is on the road you are on or a parallel road close by.

My commute includes a 30mph road with a train track parallel to it, the car will often read the 60mph sign on the train track even though it's not a UK style road sign. Or some vans/lorries have their max speed limit in the style of a road sign on the back of them which it thinks is a road sign.

Computers! I just control the speed limiter myself manually.
Deleted User 2967

Post by Deleted User 2967 »

I do the same. It's called an accelerator pedal πŸ˜€
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Soft Ware wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:15 pm I do the same. It's called an accelerator pedal πŸ˜€
Hmmmm, I'll have to look that one up in the manual! πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I manually set the speed limiter based on the signs...but the car does 'chime' if it thinks I am going too fast...a good safety net really. Yes it does pick up signs from side roads that's why I prefer my method.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Deleted User 2967

blastpipe wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:26 pm I manually set the speed limiter based on the signs...but the car does 'chime' if it thinks I am going too fast...a good safety net really. Yes it does pick up signs from side roads that's why I prefer my method.
Presume you are referring to the manual speed limiter which is set manually rather than the automatic speed limiter, which relies on the signs and satnav.

I have the speed limiter (the opposite variation of cruise control) but don't have the auto limiter version.

I prefer not to use the manual limiter but do use the cruise control occasionally.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I’ve driven for 45yrs without a speed limiter device, never had a speeding fine. Mk1 eyeballs, throttle and brake have always sufficed. Having said that, since I got the XC40 I reckon about 98% of the time I drive with the ACC activated, using the up/down buttons on the steering wheel to adjust to higher/lower limits as necessary. Lazy and easy.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

I turned off the auto limit as the car occasionally thought a road was a speed limit that it actually wasn't. Caught me out a few times. Now I just set it myself when I think I may need to be extra careful with my speed.

I can't see the auto limiter being useful until it's correct 100% of the time.

Screenshot_20201007_065734_se.volvo.vcc.jpg

T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Paulinyork wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:58 am I turned off the auto limit as the car occasionally thought a road was a speed limit that it actually wasn't. Caught me out a few times. Now I just set it myself when I think I may need to be extra careful with my speed.
I do that too, which is fine until you forget you set it to 30, and enter a slip road to join the motorway :)
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Deleted User 2967

jamie307 wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:05 am
Paulinyork wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:58 am I turned off the auto limit as the car occasionally thought a road was a speed limit that it actually wasn't. Caught me out a few times. Now I just set it myself when I think I may need to be extra careful with my speed.
I do that too, which is fine until you forget you set it to 30, and enter a slip road to join the motorway :)

I don't have the Automatic Speed Limiter option, just the Manual Speed Limiter.

I don't use it, prefer to use my own foot on the accelerator.

However, I do know, from reading the manual, that the manual speed limiter can be temporarily over ridden (in examples such as being set at 30 and wanting to join a motorway) by pressing the accelerator down to the floor. The limiter is temporarily deactivated, your higher speed is reached.

But in your example it wouldn't work as it's only for a temporary burst of speed, as soon as you come off the pedal the car would engine brake back down to your preset speed limiter setting. So in your case you could accelerate from speed limiter set 30 to 70, but you'd then engine brake back down to 30 when you actually got on the motorway.

I think I have the right setting - turn it off πŸ˜€