Servicing Plan maintenance records

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

I had the first service carried out today under my pre-paid service plan. On collecting the car the only record of the maintenance work I had is a stamp, mileage record and initials in the servicing booklet under First Service. I would like a full record of the work for which I have paid and that was carried out, be that in an engineer's report (as with all my previous non Volvo vehicles) or a description in the Volvo literature of what comprises a particular service. When I requested this from the service desk I was assured all work is recorded on their database and upon further questioning I was sent a copy of the invoice for the work. This simply lists the parts used in an oil and filter change together with a labour charge, suggesting that this is all that was done. Again, after questioning the service desk, I was assured that the safety recall work on the Emergency Collision Avoidance had also been done. No written evidence of this was forthcoming. For me this is not an acceptable state of affairs. Have other forum members had this experience? Also, can anyone point me to any Volvo literature detailing periodic maintenance work content because I have been unable to find any. Any feedback much appreciated.

Weekly

Post by Weekly »

Can't find much, but on the Volvo Canadian website it says:

Service 1 at 16,000km
Includes: Oil & Filter change with Synthetic oil, Chassis Inspection, Update technical software and clean windshield in front of Intellisafe support camera.

Service 2 at 32,000km
Includes: Oil & filter change with Synthetic oil, Chassis Inspection, Wear and Tear Inspection, Passenger compartment air filter, Update technical software and clean windshield in front of Intellisafe support camera.

Service 3 at 48,000km
Includes: Oil & filter change with Synthetic oil, Chassis Inspection, Update technical software and clean windshield in front of Intellisafe support camera.

Service 4 at 64,000km
Includes: Oil & Filter change with Synthetic oil. Chassis, Powertrain, Wear and Tear Inspection. Replace the Passenger compartment air filter, Engine air filter and Brake fluid. Update technical software and clean windshield in front of Intellisafe support camera.

Service 5 at 80,000km
Includes: Oil & filter change with Synthetic oil, Chassis Inspection, Update technical software and clean windshield in front of Intellisafe support camera.

So the 1st service seems to be an oil change, a check, and a clean of the windscreen!!
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Sorry to hear this. I got a service sheet with all the things done ticked and details such as tyre tread etc. Exactly the same as I used to get with VW.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Thanks Weekly and Salmonfisher. The info provided by Weekly would seem to show the reason that Volvo don't publicise the Maint Schedule. My Invoice shows £242.21 for this oil change, chassis inspection (whatever that is) and software update (if applicable). No evidence of safety checks such as experienced by Salmonfisher. This is poor customer service and inadequate maintenance practice and I am of a mind to take this up with Volvo HQ (if I could only find the email of a senior responsible person!)
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Further to the above: The dealer has now said I should have received service record sheet but it was mistakenly stapled to the invoice that goes to Volvo. I did get a pdf copy though. So some progress however, I note there is no certification anywhere of the software update which the service department tells me is done at every service interval and which is why the service takes over an hour to complete. Now this may appear of little consequence but such software changes can and do affect the car's behaviour and performance in unexpected ways. For example, I am now finding an intermittent pronounced hesitation when accelerating from a standing stop, at roundabouts and traffic lights for instance. In heavy traffic we all have to be quick off the mark sometimes to make reasonable progress. The first time it happened, not long after the service, I was nearly caught out by a rather nippy oncoming vehicle. It seems as if the system is treating any attempt by me to accelerate as a kick down and dropping a gear or two, hence the delay. Being as there is no record of a software update available to me I wonder where I would stand in the event of a problem being occasioned by an unexpected change the car's performance. The car certainly seems to drive differently to me. The dealership has agreed to a road test accompanied by an engineer. I'll keep the forum posted as to the outcome.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

I too had a service. It was a while you wait appointment on Monday morning 28th of September. The car was dropped off at 8.00 with work on the car starting at 8.30. The car was ready within 2 hours. Upon collection, all I got was a 3 page health check print out. The service book had been stamped but as you know, it is basically a record of the date the car was serviced and nothing more. Feeling at bit short changed, I called the dealership and asked what was done. They emailed the receipt over. It showed an oil and filter change. As my car has carried out so little mileage, I was afraid that the oil would deemed as not needing changing. So I’m happy with the outcome. I’m on a service plan too. I think it’s standard practice to send the invoice to the plan administrator but agree it would have been helpful if I had received a copy without having to ask for it.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

DDog.
Yeah, it is disappointing for a premium organisation to have this casual attitude to its customers. As you have seen the Invoice simply says what spares they used and the manhours. Nothing like a servicing record. I would still ask them for the proper record to which you are entitled. I finally got mine and it tells me exactly what was done. I would send you a copy if I knew how to do it on this forum.
virtualal

Post by virtualal »

Hey Gonzo ! Re you sluggish acceleration I have posted on here about similar issues with mine. My car has been back with the dealer for over a month now - still waiting forever them to establish why it loses power & this is the 4 th visit since getting the car brand new in March ! When Volvo finally sort it I will post again !
T5 R Design Hybrid
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Gonzo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:30 pm Further to the above: The dealer has now said I should have received service record sheet but it was mistakenly stapled to the invoice that goes to Volvo. I did get a pdf copy though. So some progress however, I note there is no certification anywhere of the software update which the service department tells me is done at every service interval and which is why the service takes over an hour to complete. Now this may appear of little consequence but such software changes can and do affect the car's behaviour and performance in unexpected ways. For example, I am now finding an intermittent pronounced hesitation when accelerating from a standing stop, at roundabouts and traffic lights for instance. In heavy traffic we all have to be quick off the mark sometimes to make reasonable progress. The first time it happened, not long after the service, I was nearly caught out by a rather nippy oncoming vehicle. It seems as if the system is treating any attempt by me to accelerate as a kick down and dropping a gear or two, hence the delay. Being as there is no record of a software update available to me I wonder where I would stand in the event of a problem being occasioned by an unexpected change the car's performance. The car certainly seems to drive differently to me. The dealership has agreed to a road test accompanied by an engineer. I'll keep the forum posted as to the outcome.
My personal view is that the whole thing needs a massive shake up. I love Volvo but, the servicing and software updates stink.

- I've experienced failure to update software.......barely an apology.

- There's no 'about', so you can't check.

- Anecdotal but, connecting to a home WiFi may screw up connection at dealer. Dealers don't appear to be switched on & assume software update successful without bothering to check.

- Volvo are forever 'optimising' engine & transmission. An unacceptable proportion of these are a correction to something they f...ed up last time. I'm all for improvements to efficiency but, wouldn't it be nice if, in an ideal world, we could opt out of these whilst still accepting real advancements to the safety systems.

- I'm not a hater & fully understand the difficult position Volvo are in. Of course they would like to improve emissions where they can but, as a company dedicated to safety, is this always a good thing if the car stumbles at a roundabout??

- Maybe I'm a dreamer (but I'm not the only one) but I would like to accept all software upgrades save those for engine/transmission optimisation because.............my car works just fine thanks.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Carl, your points are well made. I am going to pursue my line of "enquiry" with Volvo HQ. A letter to an MD or CEO usually gets a response if not much in the way of action. However, the point is made. If we all just grin and bear it, nothing will change that's for sure. Perhaps it's all a dastardy plot by the Chinese owners seeking revenge for Huwawei? ;-)