Give me a break, the brakes have (not) broken.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
HappyChappy

Post by HappyChappy »

Yesterday the car refused to drive off my drive.
Started the engine, engaged Drive and pressed the accelerator. The engine was willing but the brakes remained firmly ON. The car attempted to move, and lurched forward slightly, but strained against braked wheels.

The dash said "brake failure"!

Turning off and on didn't solve the issue.

What did solve was turn off, open door, get out, lock car, unlock car, get back in, switch on - drive off. All normal now, no further indication.

What a pile of piss. Premium car, no thanks, behaves like a 70's Sinclair ZX. Keep looking for the cassette tape holder, so I can reprogramme the sorry excuse for a "premium" car.

I've had similar issues over its 12 month life - hence the rant, it's not the first time. Just doesn't engender a sense of confidence.

It often tells me that it needs a headlight bulb change - there's never been anything wrong with the bulbs.

Going in for its first service next week - wish me luck!
Last edited by HappyChappy on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I had an error message yesterday saying my brake lights were not working. Dash had the overhead view of the car with the brake lights circled. Needless to say once I had stopped , turned off the engine and opened the car door to check them, they were working fine.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
HappyChappy

Post by HappyChappy »

Thankfully any issues like this, and there have been quite a few, have only happened when parked up, with the ability to turn off, get out, get back in, turn on.

Dreading the day when it happens at 70mph.

As I said doesn't give me confidence!!
CB89

Post by CB89 »

I haven’t had the brake message yet, but get a phantom headlamp failure service required message and one about the RSI every now and again to keep me on my toes. It’s just a niggle, but does make me wonder where it “cries wolf”so often that when something really happens will I actually believe the message until after I’ve turned the car off and on and it’s still there...

It seems that these cars are maybe getting a bit too clever since the last generation, I only had one warning message on the v40 in 4 years (other than the scheduled service reminders) - but then again my s40 prior to that was full of software gremlins.
XC40 | Momentum | T3 Auto | Ice White
Ordered Feb ‘20 - Arrived end of June
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Doesn't bode well for self-driving cars!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

I had a spurious brake failure notification not long after I got the car. I stopped in a layby, shut off the engine and restarted, warning gone. Set off again cautiously, no problems with the brakes and no further warnings for 10 months. Bugs in the software! Echoes of 99 red balloons! (Google it if you're young!)