B4 strange noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
alainrez

Post by alainrez »

Hello all,
I am a new owner of a XC40 B4 an I am very happy with this car.

I have a strange noise coming from outside the car and I can ear it especially when the windows are opened and the radio is off. The noise/sound is very similar to the sound that a bycle produce when you run the pedals backwards. This sound appears when I stop pressing the gas pedal and the speed is not very high. I already bring the car to the dealer and I tested it with a mechaninc but he told me that is normal (some high pressure fuel valve). Is someone of you experiencing the same noise? Thank you.
Alain

Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

Posting a reply to bump this one back up and hopefully garner a little more input from the forum.

I noticed this with ours last night too. It was actually the first time I'd driven the car without the family aboard so it's probably always made the noise.

Essentially, when driving, if you let go of the accelerator whilst the car is rolling it makes these clicky/clacky noises - the description of a bike is good, to me, it sounds like those spinning wooden clackers you used to get at football matches, or maybe a slower version of the noise you'd get as a kid when you put a bit of cardboard between your spokes.

It only happens when the accelerator pedal isn't depressed and - interestingly - doesn't seem to happen if the car is in eco mode. Definitely coming from outside and below the car, possibly even from each wheel.

Anybody else come across this? Is it normal or should I be talking to our local dealership?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

No, I haven't heard anything like you're describing ... BUT ... in a subliminal, auto-suggestive way, I'm sure I will!!
B4 FWD Inscription , MY22, Fusion Red, Blond interior. Climate Pack, F/R Mud Flaps
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Modern ICE cars run fuel-lines and injectors at eye watering pressures - this sound, as the mechanic stated, sounds like a ticking pressure valve - some are a little noisy and stay noisy, some go quiet with wear - don't think its anything to worry about, and bet if you ignore it, soon it will seem much more quiet
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I have had a few strange rattles on start up about 4-5times. Sounds like something catching the belt to me, but no sign under the bonnet. Booked in with the dealer
Kizarama

Post by Kizarama »

Just bumping this. Recently bought a second hand B4, (small palaver for another post) but I have this sound - the bike clutch sound.
It doesn’t seem to increase in line with revs exactly, but is apparent at cold idle or about 1.5k revs. It’s very intermittent, but almost always on coast. However the garage say they can’t replicate?

Did anyone get a resolution on this? It’s no way the injectors, and sounds more likely from a visual inspection to be around the alternator, with some specific curiosity on the tensioner mechanism. I’ll report back… but in either case.. avoid Warrington Volvo!
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

I have had a strange noise some times, it’s as if the tyre is flat or a flapping sound.. The car had mud flaps and they seem to have a lots of movement as if they are not fitted correctly even though they are.. also the flaps in-front of the wheels .. As I have said it’s not all the time..