Automatic gearbox ...faulty?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Hi all

i have a T4 auto FWD and over the last couple of days increasingly i’ve noticed that the changes have become what i can only describe as jerky and over acceleration - always lower speed and most usually when manoeuvring/parking but to the point i had to slam the breaks to prevent it from hitting a parking bollard - is it normal and i’ve just not noticed the car can be giddy or have others had similar?

any advice appreciated

👍👍

Pawelle

Post by Pawelle »

Have you pressed, and lit up, the button with the green LED to the rear of the handbrake button?
This would activate the auto hold system. Notoriously difficult to manoeuvre in restricted spaces with it switched on
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Pawelle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:50 pm Have you pressed, and lit up, the button with the green LED to the rear of the handbrake button?
This would activate the auto hold system. Notoriously difficult to manoeuvre in restricted spaces with it switched on
Hi

i do have that activated, but sometimes it happens when changing up at slow speeds - it’s almost hesitant sometimes and over zealous at others

i’ll try deactivating the auto hold and see if that helps thanks for the reply 😄👍
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Funny you should say this. I’ve experienced something similar. So, my start up process on a cold engine is - start the car and let the revs come down from 1500 to 800. Then I drive away slowly and with light throttle. As the car changes up from 2nd to 3rd, it sort of lunges a bit. I put it down to very low revs and the gearbox changing up at almost at the wrong time. This obviously gives the impression of lunging. For example, if I’m doing 15 mph at 2000rpm in 2nd, and with no increase in throttle and maintaining 2000 rpm, should the gearbox go from 2nd to 3rd, the car will increase in speed while maintaining 2000rpm. It gives the sensation of lurching forward.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Dermottdog wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 pm Funny you should say this. I’ve experienced something similar. So, my start up process on a cold engine is - start the car and let the revs come down from 1500 to 800. Then I drive away slowly and with light throttle. As the car changes up from 2nd to 3rd, it sort of lunges a bit. I put it down to very low revs and the gearbox changing up at almost at the wrong time. This obviously gives the impression of lunging. For example, if I’m doing 15 mph at 2000rpm in 2nd, and with no increase in throttle and maintaining 2000 rpm, should the gearbox go from 2nd to 3rd, the car will increase in speed while maintaining 2000rpm. It gives the sensation of lurching forward.
that almost exactly what mine does - it’s turning into a bit of an issue when negotiating into the drive outside our house - it’s making me nervous to drive it - and today it felt like it was slipping the clutch - ah well off to dealers we go!
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

billybobb2019 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 pm Funny you should say this. I’ve experienced something similar. So, my start up process on a cold engine is - start the car and let the revs come down from 1500 to 800. Then I drive away slowly and with light throttle. As the car changes up from 2nd to 3rd, it sort of lunges a bit. I put it down to very low revs and the gearbox changing up at almost at the wrong time. This obviously gives the impression of lunging. For example, if I’m doing 15 mph at 2000rpm in 2nd, and with no increase in throttle and maintaining 2000 rpm, should the gearbox go from 2nd to 3rd, the car will increase in speed while maintaining 2000rpm. It gives the sensation of lurching forward.
that almost exactly what mine does - it’s turning into a bit of an issue when negotiating into the drive outside our house - it’s making me nervous to drive it - and today it felt like it was slipping the clutch - ah well off to dealers we go!
OP, don't know if this also applies to you as you don't give your delivery date.

@Dermottdog I have a sneaking suspicion that you may not have an optimal software version.

This is wild speculation on my part based simply on the fact that Volvo made 'improvements' to the transmission in July 2019 and again in October 2019. Transmission changes aren't usually a regular occurrence and, as such, I suspect part (or all) of the October changes are to remedy some problem(s) inadvertently introduced in July.

For info, my T4 AWD auto has almost imperceptible changes unless I put the car into Dynamic mode and/or stamp on the accelerator.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Silver Moose wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 am
billybobb2019 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 pm
OP, don't know if this also applies to you as you don't give your delivery date.

@Dermottdog I have a sneaking suspicion that you may not have an optimal software version.

This is wild speculation on my part based simply on the fact that Volvo made 'improvements' to the transmission in July 2019 and again in October 2019. Transmission changes aren't usually a regular occurrence and, as such, I suspect part (or all) of the October changes are to remedy some problem(s) inadvertently introduced in July.

For info, my T4 AWD auto has almost imperceptible changes unless I put the car into Dynamic mode and/or stamp on the accelerator.

Ok, thanks. Having a service in September. The car will have covered less than 2.5k miles from new. I suspect there won’t be a lot to do on the service so they will have plenty of time to update any software versions.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Don't count your chickens.

My dealer failed to do mine & tried to argue that they had. I was lucky in that there was a visible change (stop/start symbols) applicable, enabling me to stand my ground.

Worth a check to see if there's anything applicable to your car that's easy to verify (often there isn't).

https://www.volvocars.com/my/support/to ... re-updates
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Silver Moose wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:08 am Don't count your chickens.

My dealer failed to do mine & tried to argue that they had. I was lucky in that there was a visible change (stop/start symbols) applicable, enabling me to stand my ground.

Worth a check to see if there's anything applicable to your car that's easy to verify (often there isn't).

https://www.volvocars.com/my/support/to ... re-updates
Hi SM

got the car in March of this year and its been back on 2 recalls so id have hoped they would have updated the software then? or am I being optimistic

is there a way to tell?

thanks
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Ok, an update I noticed this morning. So after starting the car and driving it for a short distance, it lurched forward again this morning. But it seems to do it at the same point every time. We live on a flat piece of road which turns into a downward slope. So after the car has changed from 1st to 2nd on the flat, the car is now on the downward slope. At this point, without pressing the accelerator, revs start to rise due to the car going faster on the slope (almost like reverse engine braking). As the revs reach 2500 -3000 revs, the box changes up and causes a lurch.