Windscreen Wipers

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Pirots

Post by Pirots »

Anyone had any trouble with theirs?

Wife just called to say the car bleeped at her saying something about the front wipers and they are nog working.

With all these showers were having this is not good.
Volvo XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design, Auto, Thunder grey, Xenium pack, Intellisafe surround, Winter pack, Convenience pack, Spare wheel.

Pirots

Post by Pirots »

The next time she got into the car it was OK. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Volvo XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design, Auto, Thunder grey, Xenium pack, Intellisafe surround, Winter pack, Convenience pack, Spare wheel.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

They're fine. A software glitch.

I had the same happen, if it rains and she needs wipers just turn the car off, step out for a few minutes and back in and it will be fine
---

Post by --- »

Yes, I've had wiper failure messages, and the whole wiper stalk would not function (couldn't get the wipers to operate, and yes, it was raining). Dealer did try software update (unsuccessfully). As mentioned in another thread, they ended up replacing the wiper module (twice), and they also replaced the wiper stalk.

If it happens again, I suggest photographing the messages, and/or make a video of it -- and test whether the wipers are working or not.
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Hi
Had the failed wiper warning come on twice this week. Had to stop, start the car each time to wipe the error code and to get them to work. Luckily was not raining heavily, but at night on a wet motorway - highly dangerous.
Car going in for check this week, any thing I should ask them to confirm (stalk, harness. motor, SW update)?
I don't want the usual answer of no fault found by them! (The new car actually broke down completely on day 6 due to ECU fault after a few days of various lights flashing so I'm really not impressed with Volvo so far!)
Thanks
---

Post by --- »

Sorry to hear of your problems. I'd try and document everything -- I write / request everything in email from my dealer now.

Try and take a video (safely, not while on a main road!) when the faults next occur, ensuring you show your current mileage (odometer) in the footage, and clearly show the wipers unresponsive etc. Post that online to a video streaming service, and send the dealer to the link to the video.

Ask that the wiper motor module be replaced (I believe this includes an integrated computer-component). They will probably try to just give you one out of a "donor" car. Assuming that fails too (did for us), ask them to air freight in a brand new one. Our air freighted one was a different size / shape / design, to apparently Volvo redesigned the unit, and brand new replacements get the new shape. Despite mine being a 2020 built XC40.

Try and get the indicator / wiper stalks replaced as well, but you may need to wait until after Volvo has replaced the wiper module before this happens.

I also think the wiper-sensor on the windscreen may be faulty --- but Volvo never replaced this for me, despite my repeated requests. I have rejected my car, so it's getting replaced shortly...
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

It’s a shame to hear you are rejecting your car, I assume it’s more than just the wipers that are causing you to reject? What are you changing to?
---

Post by --- »

Yes indeed Citizen. Mostly electrical issues. I think the car was accidentally nuked (shorted / power spike) before delivery, perhaps due to a flat battery when it was shipped from Belgium. Just a theory, but it seems to look that way.

Problems include: Wipers not working, indcator problems, headlight not working problem, and multiple error messages, stop-start function not working (even with fully charged battery), tyre pressure system errors, profile issues, system doesn't remember settings etc. Multiple computers have been replaced. The headlights have been completely replaced. Wiper motor module replaced 3 times. Wiper / indicator stalks replaced. And so on.

Volvo have worked very hard to resolve the issues, and we had loan Volvo cars for more months than having our own XC40 :( . Our neighbours told us that they thought we must work for Volvo, as we'd always have a different Volvo SUV parked out the front.

Replacing it with another Volvo XC40 =>
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

It's not good reading threads like this!

A friend never buys new cars. He's frightened to death of having to replace his elderly Golf when the time comes with a car that is a few years old.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
---

Post by --- »

Good point Chris. I've brought many new cars... this is the first time I've ever had anything remotely like this happen. "Something" must have gone terribly wrong, for all these parts / systems / components to have failures. The wiper motor failure, has come up in forums a couple of times, so this I believe has been addressed by the re-design of the wiper motor module.

Volvo checked for bad-earths, broken connections etc., in my XC40, plus went down a large involved path of trouble-shooting. Very extensive (and expensive), and time-consuming. So I think problem cars like my XC40 (and some other people's troublesome XC40s), are probably a rarity. But they do happen. And that's why I'm getting a replacement new XC40 (not some other brand of car) -- as I'm hopeful the replacement won't have such issues.

The high-speed network in the car means that if a component (like a wiper module) fails the start-up check, then it's going to trigger a fault. So I found learning when / where / how the faults occurs, makes it easier to reproduce, and easier to show Volvo. Take photos and video, to help pin-point this, as you'll have a time-stamp (plus location hopefully), of when the issue occurred, thus making the path to resolving the issues much quicker and smoother 8-)
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription