Collision Control System - Inadvertent brake application

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Has anyone experienced this problem?

The recent software update plus an additional investigation hasn't cured the tendency of the front Collision Control System (CCS) from the occasional momentarily inadvertent application of the brakes. The brake application is only for a split second but causes the Red warning light on the dash to flash on and can cause a minor panic for the unwary :shock: :shock: :shock:

My Volvo Service Technician cant' find a problem and by the very nature of the occasional inadvertent application of the brakes the issue can't be replicated.

In trying to analyse the problem it appears to occur when driving past doubled parked cars and / or in wet conditions which tends to indicate to me that it may be that the CCS is picking up a momentarily reflection and tries to avoid a collision by momentarily applying the brakes which it is designed to do but in these cases it appears to be overly sensitive.

Volvo Service Technician as logged the issue on my vehicle record and advised that he CCS can be switched off, but this defeats the very reason for having the CCS.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Stay safe.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Sometimes I experience the same inadvertent brake application when driving on slightly curved, narrow one-way streets with cars parked on both sides. I think in some rare cases the CCS is identifying a parked car as incoming traffic during the steering wheel being turned a couple of degrees. We have to bear in mind that no system is able to read all situations perfectly, in fact my CCS improved after the latest system software update, now I get far less CCS interventions on the same streets as before.

CCS is a great assistance feature, it reacts faster than the driver in applying the brakes in emergency situations. I would definitely not turn off CCS because of these rare “faulty” intervention. I got used to expect that on narrow one way streets with cars parked in rows on both sides inadvertent braking might occur.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I've got the same occasional ones, and much as eugen61 says above, it's a great intervention/safety system, albeit as any machine out there, it will have false positives from time to time. I used to get these brakes constantly particularly on a stretch of road where i had to squeeze between a safe haven and a car parked on the left. Plenty of space and time, but the car always broke there for me - whist after the update it seems to be a lot more relaxed.

Generally passengers won't even notice so it's the driver who gets scared generally. In 90% of cases for me, if not even more, i won't even flinch as i always see the cars that the software interprets as "in motion" and i'm well aware they are stationary. I think you'll get used to it.

What i would suggest is - if you have a dashcam - try to remember the time when the brake got applied, then download the according clip at home and run it again and again looking for what the car saw - eventually you'll catch it (sometimes there are dodgy things and it even picks things on the side that might be out of your sight if checking a mirror at that time etc). And then you'll just get used to it. Active driving, as they call it ... that's what it is
stu22

Post by stu22 »

We had to turn down the sensitivity level on ours, even on the mid-setting it activated too often....
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Turned mine down to the least sensitive position but it still activated so moved the icon next to that for the stop/start and part of my starting procedure is to turn both of those pesky things off!

If it's not as good as a driver as regards reading the whole situation then why bother. Save it for fully autonomous cars, whenever that will be, and I hope they get it right!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Many thanks for all the replies and advice, in a way pleased I to hear it's not just my XC40 that is affected.

Stay safe
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

stu22 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 am We had to turn down the sensitivity level on ours, even on the mid-setting it activated too often....
Did the same with mine yesterday, it happened 3 times between Ipswich and Felixstowe on the mid range setting.
lnorange

Post by lnorange »

Same with mine, the worst was overtaking a HV on a motorway in the rain, at 70mph, it hit the brakes lighting up the red icon, just for a slit second, good job the person behind had left a gap!
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

CCS - is this the system you can change from early, normal and late? I have a momentary brake and alarm with a red flashing car but never any text on the display.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

I’ve had both experiences. Wrongly detected collisions and one correctly detected.

So far I’m glad to have it
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus