Diesel DPF recall

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
robbo

Post by robbo »

Hi All

My case was from 2017 so the problems are still relevant and are linked to the past problems with DPF TECHNOLGY and the present
dilution oil problems and blocked DPF filters.

There is a very informative read on the official Volvo forum going on at present and past with the highly controversial DPF problems
going on with Volvo and a host of other manufactures at present. I am speaking with experience of the land Rover group.
There Diesel cars fill there oil sumps with excess diesel and that causes dilution of the oil and can cause the oil to lose its viscosity
and the engine protection will be effected, also the oil level goes over the full mark and does cause the car to accelerate by itself,
I needed a new DPF AND EXHAUST at the cost to Rover of £1300 at 3000 miles on a 2107 Evoque I ended up getting my money back.
It also causes your car to come up with warning regarding your service, your car needs one a lot quicker because of oil dilution
mines came on at just 4,000 miles from new because a sensor in the engine monitors the viscosity which is contaminated with
the excess Diesel, they changed oil and filter because of the contamination . Land Rover have a bulletin going at present telling the
dealers to change the engine oil ASAP but no recalls just a bulletin (recalls are bad news for business).

I told the dealer about accelerating itself and they didn't believe me looked at me as if I was mad.

Volvo are hiding the fact the same as Land Rover are hiding the fact the main reason they say is the drivers driving style they
are fudging the issue because the reason is the DPF technology they are using is flawed and this will cause major issues as this
is faulty technology it is choking the engine and sensors linked to software for regens and they have never tested the results
the buyers are experiencing at present.

I know for a fact Land Rover, Volvo and Jaguar are all getting complaints from customers and want to change to petrol models
ASAP but they are not warring it, the problems have been covered up by the British press especially for Land Rover don't want
them to lose sales of a British (Indian Company) I expect.

Its funny (not) all the cars that were owned by Ford ie Land Rover, Volvo, and Jaguar before they sold them are getting the most problems
on very low mileage engines it is one big headache watching your dashboard all the time for choked DPF filter and other warnings.

This link is a must read for people thinking of buying a Diesel model, I will never buy a diesel again with this untested and faulty DPF
systems are just not worth the heartache along with all the governments across UK to Europe are trying to kill of the Diesel engine.

Sorry for raising this post to forum members that have already bought diesel cars.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95323

Robbo

billdun

Post by billdun »

Robbo
Like you I am a refugee from Land Rover, having recently won a 5 month battle for a refund based on misselling of the car as having a 2yr/21000 mile service interval when in fact it called for oil and filter change at around 4-5k miles. Having armed myself with as much information as possible on the fuel in oil (FIO) issue, including some JLR internal documents, let me clarify a few points.
But first a small primer on emissions systems, I promise I will keep it simple. While for purposes of simplicity I will continue to refer to the particulate filter as a DPF, in practice modern emissions systems are more complex, incorporating SCF/SCRF and DOC technologies. The DPF’s main function is to trap soot which needs to be cleared from time to time. There are two ways of clearing this material, active regeneration and passive regeneration. Passive regeneration occurs when the car reaches operating temperature and the exhaust gets hot enough to burn off the soot. This is relatively inefficient and so from time to time an active regeneration is required where fuel is injected into the engine on the exhaust stroke and burnt in the emissions system to raise the DPF temperature even higher. This is the source of the FIO and the greater the number of regenerations the more the oil is diluted. Passive regeneration requires the DPF to be situated as close as possible to the engine, close to the source of heat i.e. the turbo. Therein lies the problem with a number of Land Rover products. When the cars with the engine in a transverse format were designed not enough room was left between the engine and the bulkhead to accommodate all of the emissions components leading to the DPF being situated too far from the source of heat for passive regeneration to occur leading to an increased number of active regens. being required and therefore higher than expected FIO. This is compounded during short journeys where the regen. might be interrupted by the engine being switched off at the end of the journey and the whole process having to be repeated. Incidentally the same engine used in longitudinal format (mainly in Jaguars) does not suffer the same problem.
Now to clarify a few points from your post.
Land Rover’s on-car algorithm does not measure the viscosity of the oil, instead it estimates the percentage of fuel in oil based on the number of failed regenerations. The trigger is set for (afair) 6.1% which is curious considering that most oil manufacturers and analysis labs use 2% as caution and 4% as critical. My own independent analysis showed 5.1% with a viscosity out of spec. and heading for 0w20 instead of 0w30. I would challenge anyone to spot a rise on the dipstick due to 5% dilution and it seems vanishingly unlikely that this level of dilution would cause crankcase ignition and runaway (which usually grenades the engine). I note the thread linked to only covers older models with post almost exclusively pre 2014. Technology has moved on since then.
Why have I taken the time to type this up when, only 3 weeks after a bruising fight with JLR, I would prefer to put it behind me? Mainly because I am tired of the unscientific hysteria surrounding diesel cars. In many cases (my rural location included) diesel is an appropriate choice. The problem arises with customers who thought that a 4.6 metre long nearly two ton vehicle was a city car when it is clearly not, no matter what fossil fuel drives it.
You’ve probably guessed by now that I chose the D4 First Edition although I did pique the curiosity of the staff and customers at the launch event by spending as much time looking down the back of the engine at the emissions equipment as at any other part of the car. It looks OK btw.
Anyway dealer told me yesterday that the car is being delivered next week – can’t wait.
XC40 First Edition D4, Bright Silver
robbo

Post by robbo »

Hi Bill

Thanks for your info well recieved

I like your theory, my problems emanated from two many short journeys that give DPF problems this should have been pointed out
to customers of all cars with a DPF fitted, they are big trouble and will be massively costly in the near future when people need to go
back to there dealers with blocked DPF and oil dilution problems.

New customers of XC40 Diesels watch out if they put a disclaimer on your hand-over paperwork about short journeys, this is there get out
if you have a claim and block your DPF they will blame your driving style and point to the disclaimer you will have to sign to get the car
Land Rover dealerships have this disclaimer and now we know for good reason (I don't know if Volvo are doing the same) but don't sign
it, people are to quick to get the nasty small print lawyer speak paperwork out of the way and get there keys and escape the dealers
clutches funny that the dealers like it that way as well they have the money bonus paid job done.

Now we are into 2108 and Land Rover are getting the same problems all over the country.

I might have went for the D4 if I had not been totally disillusioned with the diesel problems from Land Rover which in my opinion is a
small Transit tin can with a few fancy bits on it to fool the public, worse car I have ever owned in 40 years of motoring. I get 20% discount
on the Land Rover product and would not buy another one for 50% discount and that is the truth, the build quality was horrendous the back
hatch fell onto the rear left light a drop of 1" at 1000 miles of the road, and of the road for 9 weeks new DPF, new diesel pump, new
rear brake pads that bind when reversing that happens across the range of products I was told, another bulletin issued only change if the
customer complains, Oil and filter change another bulletin, they must put out more bulletins than ITN news team LOL.

I wish you all the best with your new car and hope no amber regen lights on dash and check your oil regularly

Please keep us informed how you go Volvo might have cracked the DPF problems first in the world !
Jmwansai1

Post by Jmwansai1 »

I don't have the same level of knowledge or experience as either of you but have similar concerns. I once read on the honest John website advice on using premium diesel, Shell V-Power in this case. I've used it without any issue for 3 years, might be worth it for the small additional cost. Certainly better than regular visits to a dealer or possible engine damage. I stress that this is only my experience.