Can't activate Adaptive Cruise Control or Pilot Assist

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

For reasons which I am totally unable to understand, the XC40's default setting for Cruise Control applies to everyone who drives the car - i.e. it can't be linked to Driver Profile. As my wife prefers Adaptive and I dislike it intensely but do want to use the Normal version, this means that it's always on Adaptive andI have to reset it EVERY time I drive it. This is a real pain if I have a few stops on a journey and don't remember to do it each time I get back in the car. and It's a really fiddly job to reset it when driving without looking away from the road - a significant safety issue.

I would love to have a choice between just standard cruise (as my Driver Profile default) and speed limiter, similar to what the original poster encountered, but as far as I can tell this isn't possible - even though technically there wouldn't be any problem at all. The Pilot Assist setting is linked to driver profile, so why not the Cruise Control setting? Even a voice command to change the setting would help, but I can't find one.

This is not the only fault in the XC40's control systems, which (for me) reduce it from being a brilliant car to just a very good one. Don't get me started on driving in daylight fog with no visible dashboard light to tell me whether the headlights are on or not!
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I've only had my car 5 days and I'm pulling my hair out trying to enable Adaptive Cruise Control ... a previous contributor has said to switch off 'Cruise Control in the Right Hand Central Screen but I can't see an icon to do that ?????? HEEEEEEEELP!!!!!
B4 FWD Inscription , MY22, Fusion Red, Blond interior. Climate Pack, F/R Mud Flaps
Joss

Post by Joss »

Hi make sure the engine is running swipe to the left and you will see the icon doesn't appear if engine isn't on.
2021 P8 recharge Sage Green
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Nope .... swiped to the left (towards passenger side), full of icons - Park Assist, Road Sign Info, Road Sign Assist, Lane Keeping, Camera - all green/on but no icon for Cruise Control!! Don't even know if I SHOULD have it, is it standard on all models? I would have thought it would be on the Inscription, hardly a Base level model ..
Is it hidden behind another Icon?
B4 FWD Inscription , MY22, Fusion Red, Blond interior. Climate Pack, F/R Mud Flaps
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

SteveM wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:59 pm Sorry to resurrect this thread but I've only had my car 5 days and I'm pulling my hair out trying to enable Adaptive Cruise Control ... a previous contributor has said to switch off 'Cruise Control in the Right Hand Central Screen but I can't see an icon to do that ?????? HEEEEEEEELP!!!!!
Only have a Momentum so don't have PA or ACC but don't you use the left and right arrows on the left-hand steering wheel button to cycle through which option is active? That's how I choose either Cruise or Speed Limiter and the icon bottom left of the driver display changes accordingly.
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Stanno wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:29 pm
SteveM wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:59 pm Sorry to resurrect this thread but I've only had my car 5 days and I'm pulling my hair out trying to enable Adaptive Cruise Control ... a previous contributor has said to switch off 'Cruise Control in the Right Hand Central Screen but I can't see an icon to do that ?????? HEEEEEEEELP!!!!!
Only have a Momentum so don't have PA or ACC but don't you use the left and right arrows on the left-hand steering wheel button to cycle through which option is active? That's how I choose either Cruise or Speed Limiter and the icon bottom left of the driver display changes accordingly.
Stanno

According to the Owner's Manual, I should be able to use the Steering Wheel (Left Hand) to toggle through Speed Limiter, Cruise Control and Adaptive Cruise Control bu it's only showing the first 2 options :twisted: :twisted:
That's why I'm wondering if there's another option hidden in Menu-land .. but I can't find it.
If all else fails Dealer will be having a visit. :x :x
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

This is the icon you’re looking for in the center display, but you might have to drive with cruise control activated in order to see it.

114D6984-2521-4CC8-BB62-485636CF178C.jpeg

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:48 pm
This is the icon you’re looking for in the center display, but you might have to drive with cruise control activated in order to see it.
Thanks for that ... I'll have to bundle the Missus into the car tomorrow and try it ;) :D
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

SteveM how new is your XC. I see you have driver assist and it was part of this earlier in the year, but I believe was pulled due to the chip shortage, so driver assist may not be the full bag.

When your dash loads, you get a list of active features, take a snap of this and check if it's listed.

This is pricelist v8 from January 21

Capture.JPG

B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Felindre is right, Intellisafe Surround was pulled some time ago due to chip shortage and Intelisafe Assist containing ACC made available as stand alone option. Maybe Driver Assist Pack was eliminated from your initial order and Intellisafe Assist was not added instead? Check your detailed invoice or speak with your dealer.