2nd trip to the garage....

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Eww202

Post by Eww202 »

I would start off by saying that the XC40 is/can be an exceptional motor however, tomorrow our one (T4 AWD R Design) is going in for it's 2nd visit to the garage since delivery at the end January 2020. It seems as though every 500 miles or so we develop a new problem and below is what we have experienced far....

1) Engine stuttering/fluttering on accelerating having started from cold.
2) Electronic failure - made a huge machine like racket from the speakers even when switched off and called Volvo On Call on our behalf, who then called the police to our home to make sure we were ok.
3) Centre consol creaks and rattles constantly.
4) The roof rattles above drivers head.
5) Condensation & ice experienced on inside of windscreen.

I'm aware that creaks and rattles on these cars is not uncommon however, the top 2 items especially seem a bit more unique. Has anyone else experienced these issues and, if so, has it been rectified and how?

Mike Wazowski

Post by Mike Wazowski »

Not here. I have the same car since late last year, works just fine.
myzo78

Post by myzo78 »

Hello

Can you develop on the 1st symptom? Is the noise present only when pressing the gas pedal?

I have similar problem on T4 fwd. Fluttering noise when accelerating. It happens all the time, not only when started from cold.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I've had your 2nd issue (so i don't say your number 2 haha). Do you have a powered tailgate?

I mean, sounds very close to what i had. Whatever sounds were blasting out as a stretch. Turns out i loaded the car wrong and the boot was closed and partially locked, but not fully. Once i moved some boxes around and made sure the trunk closed and locked properly, back in the car and the sound was gone

Hope it was an easy fix if not this!
Eww202

Post by Eww202 »

So regarding the 1st issue, it's only when using for the first time that day or after a prolonged period of being parked up. You don't have to necessarily accelerate hard either, but when you do it's a though the car can't find its gear and is rapidly trying to find the right one.

Imagine that feeling when you put your foot down on the motorway and the car kicks down a gear to accelerate and you get the slight jolt but a lot, lot faster without even having to hit the accelerator hard, like a rapid shudder for a few seconds then off it goes, fine until you park up for another long period!

Rather surprisingly the garage admitted to me they have another T4 experiencing the same issue now.....
Eww202

Post by Eww202 »

I think best stick with 2nd issue rather than my number 2 issue, that would belong in an entirely different forum!

Thanks for your advice. I do have a powered tailgate but this seemed to be coming from the speakers around the car because if you indicated or played with the volume button, it got worse. What I don't get is even when switched off and parked up on the drive, it still carried on for a while. And what I really don't get is if you ever need the police they are nowhere to be seen but when Volvo call they were there in a flash!

I wish I could upload the video of the problem but can't seem to attach.
myzo78

Post by myzo78 »

We don't have the same issue then. Thank for these details.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Yes, indeed - it came from the speakers in my case too. It's like the car was trying to replace any audio (even indicator / turn signal sound!) with this screetch. I had to drive 15 mins like that as was in a rush to unload said boxes that caused the issue...

I imagine you could test with a large, heavy box placed in the trunk that will partially obstruct the closing - not enough to trigger the sensors, but enough to not allow the latch to catch properly. I'd assume it's hard to reproduce though.

haven't had that issue since - however if your trunk was empty or you weren't carrying big loads ... well, sorry to have taken your time lol.

Also, police trying to get a discount on XC90s to replace their Pajeros haha, so they play nice with Volvo /sarcasm
Eww202

Post by Eww202 »

Interesting.... when the car is returned, as I doubt the garage would have got to the bottom of that problem, I will test the theory. Thank you very much for your input and for potentially sorting my number 2 issue.