Vodafone SIM - takes ages for a connection

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ak888

Post by ak888 »

When I can get the SIM card to work it works ok. But most times it either takes ages to get a 'Globe' indicating connection or sometimes not at all. Its usually quicker if I get the car to hotspot to my phone and then change back.

Does anyone have a consistent working SIM card. The idea is brilliant but the execution is practically useless. I just revert back to Android Auto which is a shame as I do like the built in sat nav and spotify when it works.

Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Can' t get the globe to appear in the P-SIM configuration. Wi-Fi and hotspot OK. Set up seems to be not so straightforward. I have seen elsewhere that data only SIM from other network providers work more smoothly.
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Metroman wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:53 pm Can' t get the globe to appear in the P-SIM configuration. Wi-Fi and hotspot OK. Set up seems to be not so straightforward. I have seen elsewhere that data only SIM from other network providers work more smoothly.
Is it because of the network registration and user login?
My free SIM is ending this month and I will get a PAYG data SIM instead.
Moss

Post by Moss »

ak888 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:38 pm When I can get the SIM card to work it works ok. But most times it either takes ages to get a 'Globe' indicating connection or sometimes not at all. Its usually quicker if I get the car to hotspot to my phone and then change back.

Does anyone have a consistent working SIM card. The idea is brilliant but the execution is practically useless. I just revert back to Android Auto which is a shame as I do like the built in sat nav and spotify when it works.
For Belgium & France my wife and I both have this data sim in our cars : https://www.keepgo.com/products/gofi-eu ... a-sim-card The sim card should also work in the UK, USA, etc...

Easy to install (just follow the instructions provided with the sim card) and working flawlessly.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Goldfish wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Metroman wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:53 pm Can' t get the globe to appear in the P-SIM configuration. Wi-Fi and hotspot OK. Set up seems to be not so straightforward. I have seen elsewhere that data only SIM from other network providers work more smoothly.
I'm not sure yet what the issue is with the SIM, but I wish it had all been set up before I collected the car.I don't mind sorting this kind of thing but only if it actually works. The instructions in the handbook and those that the dealerships use are a world apart.
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Metroman wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:22 pm
Goldfish wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:14 pm
I'm not sure yet what the issue is with the SIM, but I wish it had all been set up before I collected the car.I don't mind sorting this kind of thing but only if it actually works. The instructions in the handbook and those that the dealerships use are a world apart.
These are the instructions that I followed to the letter and it has worked perfectly - always get a globe and live traffic etc:

IMG_18411.JPG

IMG_18402.JPG

IMG_18423.JPG

T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

This free SIM seems a lot of faff. KInda glad I predated this and have a PAYG 3 sim. Only cost £30 and none of the hassle. Think I'd do the same if I bought another Volvo
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I know an advantage of the Vodafone P-SIM is that the data allowance works worldwide, so if you were planning to drive to Kuala Lumpur it would be quite handy.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

blastpipe wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:34 am This free SIM seems a lot of faff. KInda glad I predated this and have a PAYG 3 sim. Only cost £30 and none of the hassle. Think I'd do the same if I bought another Volvo
I totally agree with you. The 3 network 24gig 2 year sim was just plug and play. Worth the money for ease of set up. Only used 4 gig in the first year mainly on map updates and RTTI. But of course I have had 3 months where I hardly used the car during lockdown.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I agree too, I've been using my 24GB Three sim for 18 months, no issues other than I'm not using enough data I've used less than a third of the data and I've always updated all the maps, etc., via it. I also use it for internet access hot spot when out and a about.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)