Auto stop start disabled

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I know the car hasn't been used much since the last software update...but the stop/start icon is always greyed out these days. Did two 25 mile trips the other day and put it on eco..still greyed out. Will try some more longer journeys as soon as I can. Anyone noticed anything similar?
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019

squint

Post by squint »

Facebook has similar threads
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I had full SW update recently at the garage, and the start/stop does work.

Although what I noticed it depends on probably how long do you drive, maybe related to the battery charge level?
morganj

Post by morganj »

Living in a country where we use fuel powered block heaters often we are taught that for every hour the heater is used you will need to drive at highway speeds for one hour. Same for start stop. Each time the engine starts and stops it requires so much power from the battery that if for example I don’t drive the car for 2 days I need to drive approx 30min before the start stop function becomes available again.

If only driving very short trips after those 2 days it can be so that the start stop function does not work at all.

A trickle charger or a long highway drive will take care of keeping the battery charged enough for start stop.

Another thing to take note of. Software updates usually require the ignition to be in the ACC position, therefore is the dealer / garage did not have the car on a maintainer / trickle charger for the update the battery will be depleted to the point whereby the system shuts off the start stop system until battery has enough power.

Hope this helps.

(Still waiting for a T5 Twin ordered Jan 2nd, and getting very impatient, considering a Xc60 twin with Polestar from stock soon)
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I'm sure it has come on pre lockdown so more than likely is the battery being sub-optimal. Will keep an eye on it and hope to do a long run when and if the next holiday goes ahead.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Not a problem for me as I turn it off as part of my start up routine!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I mentioned at my recent service that my stop/start hardly ever activated. Service manager gave a lot of reasons why that might be the case the main one being that I was not driving far enough each trip to charge the battery up. But all my previous cars with this feature always worked from the off without hesitation.

It looks like they gave it a good charge up during the service cos it worked ok on the way home. It does not bother me as like a lot of drivers I turn it off more often than not. But it seems like a poor system if it works so rarely.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
squint

Post by squint »

I have been lent an XC60 while my car has been at dealership for past 5 weeks - car now been rejected. The auto stop start on the XC60 is incredibly smooth - so much so that when I first had the loan car I asked dealership to see if mine was working properly.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Mines working fine again now...must be a combination of battery level and outside temperature as it is cooler this morning.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

As mentioned in another post, Volvo seem to have cracked the stop-start function in the new 'B' spec models. It seems to work very smoothly and is unintrusive unlike the implementation in my XC40. Like many others I switch mine off every time.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18