Auto stop start disabled

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
dnyoung607

Post by dnyoung607 »

Thanks from USA; still curious as to why it no longer works, (A symbol is now showing up on menu.)

Burmey

Post by Burmey »

I've noticed exactly the same thing. Before I took my car in for a service, although I hadn't used my car much during lockdown, it was working ok. Then it goes in for a service and now it's constantly greyed out. I did about 50 miles (35 of it on a motorway) today and it still hasn't kicked in. I do find it really annoying that on this XC40 there's no way of knowing if I've managed to get the engine warm during a drive. Very frustrating - unless someone else knows of a way of telling?
V40, XC90, XC60, and now First Edition 2nd owner since November 2018 XC40 Red.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

It's weird really as my car is coming up to 18 months old & sometimes it has a go at kicking in when it's obvious it's a lost cause.

Sure, there are times when it doesn't kick in but the reasons why are fairly obvious. Conversely, it will sometimes shut off when it's, say 32° outside & ac is set at 18°, inevitably to re-start 15 seconds later...........I often find myself admonishing car with: "Stupid boy, why did you even think that would work?!".

I think it's clear that:

a) The software needs some work, and
b) The stop/start battery should have higher capacity
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
buddie000

Post by buddie000 »

Mine did the same thing after only doing about 30 miles between March and July. I have just done 2 days of going Edinburgh to Glasgow and return about 200 mile and during the second return journey it came back on. So I suppose it takes some time to recharge it following a period of not being used.

Inscription D4 Maple Brown 2019 Model Intellesafe, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack,
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

It probably needs a decent run or two to get the battery (or batteries) fully charged. Also, it won't cut in if there's a heavy drain on the battery - such as heated seats switched on, I believe.

My other car has two batteries and switches the whole car over to the smaller one when stop-start cuts in, so that the main battery power is preserved for restarting (seems an odd arrangement to me) but I don't know how the Volvo system works.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

ChrisLF wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:22 pm Not a problem for me as I turn it off as part of my start up routine!

Chris
And me!
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Not a problem for me as the system works sweet as a nut and helping to lower vehicle emissions.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
CesarCastro

Post by CesarCastro »

Hi, mine seldom kick in the first year.
Now, after battery changed , it works all the times and I live in Portugal, 33ºC is normal in Summer.

Force them to check the battery.

Grey symbol shashed means Star/Stop not available.
White, no slash, means available.
Green Start/Stop kicked in an motor stopped.
XC40 T3