SIM card info

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

My dealer has now had two unsatisfactory attempts to get reliable internet access for my XC40. Initially, the connection has seemed OK but on both occasions it has failed after a few days. What with the limitations imposed by the lockdown and the customary delay in getting a workshop appointment, this is not going to be looked at again until the end of the month. In the meantime, I realise that I have no information about the Vodaphone SIM - neither the username nor the password. These must have been set up by the dealer (back in February!) so may I ask those of you who have the free Volvo SIM whether these details were given to you? With this essential information it appears to be possible to use a Vodaphone website to reconnect the failed link.

gt40

Post by gt40 »

For hassle free internet, get a £10 payg card from Three, initialize it in a phone then pop it in the sim slot in the boot. It works straight away, and I've had to top it up once since Sept so lets say it's cost me £15 so far*. Well worth it to avoid the agro of the convoluted Vodafone setup.

*caveat - I do map upgrades on the drive from the house wifi or, if pushed, via a bluetooth connection to my phone.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
Nifad

Post by Nifad »

I am pretty disappointed having just found out that replacing the Sim card after one year on my Volvo it's going to cost me £100. The dealer told me it would be a 10 quid charge and it would probably be replaced free of charge service on the first service anyway. The only data I annoyingly have used his map updates if my car is on the drive within my own Wi-Fi network will it automatically choose that rather than the Sim card to update the maps? The Vodafone Internet in the car set up seems to be highly complicated and difficult to manage I'm going to see if I can change Sim for another provider and having read your comments the first one I'll be checking is "Three".
Also I have yet to find where the SIM card is on my 2019 XC40 D3 Momentum?
Deluded User 2020

Post by Deluded User 2020 »

The sim card is in the boot on the left hand side at the back under the felt molding.

It's all in the online or downloadable manual. Search for personal SIM

You can change the SIM for any network provider. 3 network do a two year option for about £30 from Amazon.