Fan Speeds

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Hi All

stupid question but I'm asking it - on the fan speeds, I think mine may be faulty , there are 5 'wedge' settings on the touch screen..... but 1 and 2 are the same speed as is 3,4,5 surely each wedge should be an incremental increase or decrease or is it aesthetic?

does that make sense or is this another trip to the dealers only to be made to feel stupid when I pointed out that the wind mirrors aren't symmetrical when closing and unclosing to be shown the same thing on 2 other xc40's

thanks in advance

Frustrated and slightly OCD of Lancashire

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

My fan control works as expected. The bigger the wedge, the faster the fan.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

If you have "Auto Climate" set on I think the car decides what level of fan you need at that time. So if you change it it ignores your setting. This could make it look as if your fan speed is not working.
Page 197 in the owners manual refers.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

thanks for the replies - definitely not on auto climate and it is doing as described- off to the dealers it goes 😞
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

My fan speed doesn’t seem to relate to the graphic much either.
Auto climate only seems to determine which vents the air comes from not the fan speed.
The fan speed is more closely linked to the difference between the temperature setting and the inside temp of the car.
Just tried it coming home and when temp set to lo there was a difference between 1 and 2 but 3,4,5 and max seemed exactly the same.
So either my car has a fault too or that’s just the weird way it works.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Skyrimmer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:51 pm If you have "Auto Climate" set on I think the car decides what level of fan you need at that time. So if you change it it ignores your setting. This could make it look as if your fan speed is not working.
Page 197 in the owners manual refers.
That’s interesting. I’m just used to pressing the auto climate button and thinking that’s that. But the one button has 2 distinct functions. Short press and a long press. Just as you think you’re getting to grips with your car and it surprises you yet again....
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.