Blocked drain hole

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I'm fed up with having to clear the drain hole on the passenger side under the bonnet. Has anyone tried to fit a fine wire mesh over it to help the drainage? I'm reluctant to go down the drill option. Thanks

Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

ploscnicu wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:57 am Did it make any noise in the car? Have a passenger side noise only when driving in the rain or wet road.
We have that. A sort of throbbing noise from the roof. Did you ever get to the bottom of it?
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

ACertainAge wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:12 am I'm fed up with having to clear the drain hole on the passenger side under the bonnet. Has anyone tried to fit a fine wire mesh over it to help the drainage? I'm reluctant to go down the drill option. Thanks
Think the mesh would get blocked as well as the hole is small…

I’ve got into the habit now, each week when I wash the car, I just put my hand between the windscreen and bonnet and rub over / clear any leaves / debris etc from it, then as I’m rinsing down, just make sure water is running out …

So far, so good :D
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I do the same as Andy40. It is easy to clear any debris in a few seconds and seems to work perfectly well.
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

Johnkavanagh wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:20 pm
ploscnicu wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:57 am Did it make any noise in the car? Have a passenger side noise only when driving in the rain or wet road.
We have that. A sort of throbbing noise from the roof. Did you ever get to the bottom of it?
Do you have the sun roof ? If so the drain tubes can be changed to longer ones to stop it.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Snow man wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:24 pm Do you have the sun roof ? If so the drain tubes can be changed to longer ones to stop it.
I’m going to ask for mine to be done when it’s in for a service shortly. Had the thumping noise occasionally and the wet wind deflector…