Paint Quality, Airco & Other Things

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Chsahajarose

Post by Chsahajarose »

Hi Everyone!

Picked up a new XC40 Design Pro in black, in March 2020, but having a few probs I thought I’d bounce around before it goes to the dealer next week:

Paint (probably the middle coat) dreadful all over, on metal and plastic panels. As attached, has anyone seen this before?

Twice when starting the wipers do not work and it come up with an error. Stopping, locking, unlocking and restarting resolves.

Airco is terrible. It’s mid-20’s outside, like an oven inside and on the coolest setting it intermittently blows warm air. Goes cold for a short moment and then warm again. Reaaally uncomfortable....

Add the braking recall, some spluttering in the first couple of days (which did disappear so could potentially have been my right foot after driving a Golf R for 3yrs), it really feel like a Friday afternoon car.

What does anyone think?

Cheers!

2512E5A7-0F50-4DF8-A88F-F06D4EE337F5.jpeg

5E15843A-D81D-4C31-8C6F-77CFED0C2DEF.jpeg

9D4810FC-80B2-430A-9D86-A7487D751D44.jpeg

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Welcome to the forum.

Does sound like you have a few niggles there but the air con is a known issue for recently built cars which inadvertently were overpressurised at build. This is an easy fix for your dealer. Similarly as is the AEB new software.

The latest software update may well fix your wiper glitch - not anything I've experienced in 10,000 miles.

It is hard to see the paint issue your are mentioning in the photos...one for the dealer to have a look at.

Generally the XC40 is rock solid but now and again people do report glitches....keep the faith they are a great car
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Chsahajarose

Post by Chsahajarose »

Hi blastpipe - appreciate the reply.... in the photos, all those white marks are under the top layer. Car had just had its first wash.
squint

Post by squint »

Had my car since 7/3/2020.
If you care to read my previous posts my car seems to have been a Friday afternoon car after an incredibly boozy Friday lunchtime drink.

My car has now been in the dealer to fix various problems since 11/5/2020 - one of which was exactly the same wiper problem as you except that once it took more than one engine restart.

Apparently the one thing neither the dealership nor Volvo can fix is a problem with the SOS button that not only does not connect to emergency services it prevents me from using my phone. I have been told by dealership that it is a network problem in which case I assume it must apply to many Volvo users - I was then told by dealership it's only my car affected which doesn't make sense to me.
Today I have spoken to Volvo customer services with 3 specific questions - 1)Is the problem due to a network problem, and if so are other cars affected? 2) What is the maximum time Volvo considers acceptable a car is left at a dealership which Volvo cannot fix? - I asked the customer services person to confirm the call was being recorded, and asked him to repeat my questions in his own words to ensure he understood the questions. He has said I should receive a reply within 24 hours - both verbal and by email.

I am now in process of options for rejecting car which was financed with PCP by Santander - I have officially complained to them but nothing appears to be happening.

I am now in discussion with a Solicitor.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
squint

Post by squint »

squint wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:34 pm Had my car since 7/3/2020.
If you care to read my previous posts my car seems to have been a Friday afternoon car after an incredibly boozy Friday lunchtime drink.

My car has now been in the dealer to fix various problems since 11/5/2020 - one of which was exactly the same wiper problem as you except that once it took more than one engine restart.
As regards paint - did you by any chance have Volvo Car Protect ceramic coating applied?

Apparently the one thing neither the dealership nor Volvo can fix is a problem with the SOS button that not only does not connect to emergency services it prevents me from using my phone. I have been told by dealership that it is a network problem in which case I assume it must apply to many Volvo users - I was then told by dealership it's only my car affected which doesn't make sense to me.
Today I have spoken to Volvo customer services with 3 specific questions - 1)Is the problem due to a network problem, and if so are other cars affected? 2) What is the maximum time Volvo considers acceptable a car is left at a dealership which Volvo cannot fix? - I asked the customer services person to confirm the call was being recorded, and asked him to repeat my questions in his own words to ensure he understood the questions. He has said I should receive a reply within 24 hours - both verbal and by email.

I am now in process of options for rejecting car which was financed with PCP by Santander - I have officially complained to them but nothing appears to be happening.

I am now in discussion with a Solicitor.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
Chsahajarose

Post by Chsahajarose »

Wow. Spooky is that I picked mine up on Friday 6th March, which was three weeks earlier than originally planned and I (then stupidly) thought that perhaps they had rushed it!

I’d be interested to hear how you get on, as I suspect my whole car will need respraying (if they would do that to a new car) or replacing, for the paintwork alone.

I’m hoping the dealer will look at it next week and something positive will come of it.

Good luck to you!
squint

Post by squint »

Chsahajarose wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:08 pm Wow. Spooky is that I picked mine up on Friday 6th March, which was three weeks earlier than originally planned and I (then stupidly) thought that perhaps they had rushed it!

I’d be interested to hear how you get on, as I suspect my whole car will need respraying (if they would do that to a new car) or replacing, for the paintwork alone.

I’m hoping the dealer will look at it next week and something positive will come of it.

Good luck to you!
I would not accept a car that had to be completely resprayed after such a short time.

Mine was also much earlier than originally quoted.

Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1955&hilit=second+recall who also collected same day as you.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Wow, the paint is appalling. I successfully rejected a VW Golf which had paint issues. Practically every panel had very fine scratches. Suspect the car had been prepared with a small bit grit trapped within a polishing cloth. The dealers gave me a choice. Either spray the bonnet, the roof, the top of the tailgate and the tops of all 4 doors or reject the car. I chose the later. Im not teaching you to suck eggs but are you sure it’s within the paint and not just water stains? Obviously, black shows up water stains because they dry white in colour. I think I have a few water stains on my black roof but they only show up in certain lights. Car detailing stockist have water stain removers for sale.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Chsahajarose

Post by Chsahajarose »

Sooooo........ air conditioning was resolved by regarding the system to the correct level, software update took care of the other niggles and paint quality was acknowledged by the dealership and they’re going to talk to some people (bodyshop, retailer and Volvo) and come back to me next week.

Fingers crossed...
squint

Post by squint »

May I suggest you get an acknowledgement in writing regarding the paint issue.