Fluttering/ ticking sound comes from the engine when accelerating is this normal

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Hobsong1

Post by Hobsong1 »

There is a Fluttering/ ticking sound comes from the engine when accelerating it happens all the time is this normal? ie just the normal engine sound? I've noticed it from day one. Mine is a T3 R DESIGN PETROL

Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

As it’s a three cylinder it does make a strange noise if you accelerate hard, sort of like a ‘soft’ diesel sound. Not sure about the ticking bit though. If it’s excessive then get the dealer to check it.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Can't say I have noticed anything like that on my car when accelerating. It's very quiet in fact.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
myzo78

Post by myzo78 »

Hello,

I have the exact same issue. Car has been brought to dealership 3 times already but they failed to find the issue. Mine is T4 FWD.
Did your dealer managed to find the issue? I'd really appreciate your feedback if your car is fixed.

Thanks
guyfawkes1960

Post by guyfawkes1960 »

Hi, I have a similar issue. Just taken delivery of a new T3 Automatic Inscription. When revving the engine its smooth no unexpected noise however, when ecelerating I get a tapping /pinking noise from the engine, doesn't sound normal to me, am I wrong?
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

My T3 auto makes a tappety sort of noise when accelerating hard. Presumably it's in the nature of the three cylinder engine.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

Mine does similar (D3) but not annoyingly so.
I put it down to just slight natural diesel sound (knock). Only when moving with press if accelerator for a few seconds.
Don't even pay any attention to it now.
Loose-leaf

Post by Loose-leaf »

I have taken delivery of my new xc40 r design automatic FWD petrol and I have noticed the same thing. Under acceleration there is a tapping, similar to a diesel. Not sure how else to describe it.
It doesn't tap when revving the engine in neutral. I am curious if it is just the t3 engine, or, if it's an issue as the car drives great and feels smooth.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

I've had this noise (or similar) on my T5 from new and haven't solved it. It sounds a bit diesel-like but more like the "pinking" noise of pre-ignition, and is most noticeable between 2500 and 3000 revs on medium acceleration. It isn't there when cruising but the revs are lower then (note to self - try cruising at 70 with the gearbox locked in a lower gear to keep the revs at around 2700); it's also more noticeable when the engine is cold.

I've tried running on 99 octane fuel (expensive!) which would reduce any pre-ignition knock but it made no difference, and with Covid restrictions there wasn't really a way to discuss it with a knowledgeable technician at its first service, or to borrow a suitable courtesy XC40 as a comparison.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

I have to agree, the three cylinder engine is a bit schizophrenic in terms of engine noise- inaudible when driven gently, quite raucous at full throttle.

My T5 recharge is better with 98 octane petrol- the manual says it should ideally be run on 98 octane but can run at reduced power/ reduced economy with 95 octane.

I’m curious to know if the octane recommendation is the same for all the three cylinder variants.

Pete
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.