Fluttering/ ticking sound comes from the engine when accelerating is this normal

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
rattle&hum

Post by rattle&hum »

Hi All
Have had my XC40 RDesign T3 Auto for about a month now and find this fluttering/rattle increasingly annoying.
Technician at local dealer says this is 'just the noise the 3 cylinder engine makes' - all to do with emissions, he said - to keep the numbers down it's a small engine but working at top capacity.
Can't believe Volvo let an engine that sounds like a bag of spanners out of the factory tho.
Previously had a Ford 999cc 3-cylinder with turbo - not a sound!

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
I have a T3 manual, one of the few me suspects, the engine does sound different to my last 4cyl vw engine but I expected this , I am not hearing any rattling or fluttering sounds. Some of the noise may be associated with the Auto box or the Turbo. Like you I have only had the car since March and completed 850 miles so have not pushed the engine , occasionally I have gone up with the revs to around 4K in third gear and the engine makes a throaty noise it’s not an unpleasant sound and when my adult son first went into the car he said it sounded good.
Hopefully you will get some replies from Auto owners, you could take it to another dealer for an opinion or try to get a drive in a different T3 for comparison ( this should be possible now they are open).
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
rattle&hum

Post by rattle&hum »

Thanks Den, will try an alternative T3 - hopefully will put my mind at rest.
joeldram

Post by joeldram »

Hello. New owner, as of today:

XC40 R-design Automatic Petrol ‘70’ reg in black (4,500ish miles, ex-demo) which seems to also have a v ‘throaty’ sound.

Interestingly I test drove both an XC40 Inscription and a Momentum Pro (both petrol, both auto) both of which seemed quieter cars than the R-Design.

Does anyone know if the modifications for the R-Design would cause these additional sounds?

FYI I don’t mind them, just so long as they don’t mean problems with the engine! Still, under another 2.5 years left of Volvo services to find out... ;-)
2021 (70 plate) R-design in Oynx Black T3 Auto.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

joeldram wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:43 pm Hello. New owner, as of today:

XC40 R-design Automatic Petrol ‘70’ reg in black (4,500ish miles, ex-demo) which seems to also have a v ‘throaty’ sound.

Interestingly I test drove both an XC40 Inscription and a Momentum Pro (both petrol, both auto) both of which seemed quieter cars than the R-Design.

Does anyone know if the modifications for the R-Design would cause these additional sounds?

FYI I don’t mind them, just so long as they don’t mean problems with the engine! Still, under another 2.5 years left of Volvo services to find out... ;-)
Did you test the same engine in all trims? Maybe your R-design has 3 cylinder engine (T3), whereas test cars had 4 cylinder engine (T4, T5). That could definitely explain the difference in engine sound...
joeldram

Post by joeldram »

eugen61 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:09 am

Did you test the same engine in all trims? Maybe your R-design has 3 cylinder engine (T3), whereas test cars had 4 cylinder engine (T4, T5). That could definitely explain the difference in engine sound...
Sorry- mean to say, they were all T3 engines, all autos. d’oh.

Is the r-design engine tuned in any way differently to the Inscription or the Momentum, does anyone know?
2021 (70 plate) R-design in Oynx Black T3 Auto.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

joeldram wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:36 am
eugen61 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:09 am

Sorry- mean to say, they were all T3 engines, all autos. d’oh.

Is the r-design engine tuned in any way differently to the Inscription or the Momentum, does anyone know?
The engine is exactly the same across evert trim. Suspension is tuned differently on R-design (sport chassis), but that can’t impact engine sound.
Andreacar

Post by Andreacar »

Dear all,
I'm Andrea from Italy.. also my Xc40 T4 AWD seems to have this "diesel" sound under load.. anyone fixed it or is typical for this engine?

Thanks
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I've had experience of 3 three pot cars: a Focus 1litre, Captur 900cc, and my wife's Hyundai Kona 1litre. They all had or have a throaty noise which I find addictive when hurried.
AndyN

Post by AndyN »

I was going to ask this very question, got my t3 at the weekend and it drives pretty good other than the laggy auto box at times.

But the engine does make a tappity sort of rattle under medium to heavy load from about 2000 rpm. With the music on I don't here it but it does sound a bit naff for a 30 plus grand car.

My old fiesta Black edition with the 1lt 140 made a pretty nice noise and my daughters citroen DS3 1.2 3pot also does not rattle.

I was going to take it back to the dealer but after reading this I probably won't bother.

I did make an audio recording but can't upload it here.
MY21 T5 Recharge R Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the options. I have added mud flaps, floor and boot protection and Polestar, with 2 years service and warranty.