“Parking brake service required” message

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
squint

Post by squint »

Only done 900 miles and above message appeared. Disappeared on restarting car. Anyone had similar? Is it safe?
Dealership closed as Bank Holiday.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I think one or two others might have had similar....a quick search of the forum should find any posts. If you have an automatic then the gearbox will act as a parking brake too.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
squint

Post by squint »

I'm a key worker.
Garage asked me to call in to look at problem.
Has been no error message since first reported.

Spent 3 hours waiting at dealership. They assured me that error had been fixed and also SOS call not working properly - see post about this.

At handover, I checked. Parking Brake Service now re-appeared and SOS call still not working properly - completely froze my phone connectivity for half an hour.

Dealership has no idea what to do - they are going to contact Volvo technical.

I have had so many ridiculous problems since collecting car a few weeks ago.

Volvo Customer Service are of little help - they just offer to speak to the dealership on my behalf - I have told them - and sent them copies of numerous emails I have sent to dealership.

Tomorrow I am going to place a formal complaint.

I have had enough of the dealership and customer services telling me how sorry they are.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
Db55

Post by Db55 »

Hi Squint
I had this problem a while ago ,the car went into the dealers and the same answer came back following their checks.
The car did work without problem other than the warning, when I thought back there was one thing in common which was the outside temperature was at or below freezing point normally after the car had been standing outside all night.
Don’t know if this helps ,hope you get sorted !
T5 FE, osmium grey
squint

Post by squint »

Thanks - but it’s quite hot at the moment.

I had a long conversation with Volvo Customer Services this morning - we shall see!!
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

I had the same message the other day. Disappeared after restarting the car.

I do get messages like that once in a while, they all disappear afterwards.
squint

Post by squint »

There appears to be a plethora of messages which appear and then disappear.
How do we know that when a “proper” error is present that the software tells us?
Deleted User 2490

Post by Deleted User 2490 »

squint wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:54 pm There appears to be a plethora of messages which appear and then disappear.
How do we know that when a “proper” error is present that the software tells us?
A few times I've had the "your brakes have failed, pull over when safe". Each time I've slowed down and pulled over with the aid of the fully operational brakes.

When I try and slow down to pull over, and the car continues to hurtle on at 70mph I'll know the software is doing its job.
squint

Post by squint »

Doesn’t that just prove my point?

Are you happy to keep getting what appears to be wrong messages?
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

I am not happy, but I get one every two-three months, and it dissappears. Also, most of them seem minor. It is manageable for now