Car randomly unlocking...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
MrR

Post by MrR »

Hi everyone,

Decided to register and write a post on here in the hope that one of you guys will be a able to help.

So I'm new to being a Volvo XC40 owner. Got a R-Design with Volvo on call.

I managed to take delivery on day one of lockdown so it's not been very far but I'm now aware of an issue.

The car has started unlocking itself randomly and notifying me on the app. I go and check and yeah, its unlocked.

No matter if I lock it with the key or the app. It just unlocks itself.

I've removed the sim, done a full factory reset. But that's not fixed it.

My car is currently sat outside, unlocked.

Just to add, it was clicking through the night and whirring. Unlocking itself.

Has anyone else had this issue and more importantly, anyone know how to fix it?

Tried my dealership and they're (rightly) closed due to COVID-19. Volvo On-Call didn't have an idea either.

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I have had a similar experience see post about rear hatch opening by itself. when mine shows itself as unlocked I find the rear hatch up as well. Emergency call out had never heard of it and just oiled catch. said to take it to dealer but obviously I haven't been able to. Hasn't happened since they oiled the catch/lock on hatch so might be worth trying that on all doors as well.
MrR

Post by MrR »

Hi again,

Just want to say thanks for replying to me. This has been driving me absolutely nuts.

So this is what I tried (bear in mind I'm new)

- Emailed Volvo Cars
- Emailed Volvo On-Call
- Phoned Volvo On-Call
- Emailed my dealer
- Emailed my dealer service centre
- Took the sim out of my car
- Factory reset the car
- Deleted all other settings from the car
- Deleted the app from my phone
- Registered and posted on here

I then did a million google searches and wondered why this wasn't as common as I thought.

I then found a post about resetting the locking module and thought give it a try.

I then go and look at the buttons (as it said to press them) and whilst sat in the drivers seat , I look over at the passenger side (no-ones ever been in it as its a new car and we're under lockdown) and then see the problem

The lock / unlock button were trapped in the casing meaning the unlock button was wedged down.

It needs fixing but this can wait till we're out of lockdown. In the meantime, I've pushed the buttons so the unlock is no longer trapped

And behold.... I locked the car an hour ago... and it's still locked! :lol:

So me thinking it was technology! Not at all!
Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

That's a great spot!! Luckily will be a much easier fix than some software error too. Enjoy what trips you may manage during this strange time.
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!