T5 performance

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

I’ve been thinking about stuff since we are all the same boat and staying in. Anyway, on my only recent trip in the car to take supplies to the mother in law, I got thinking about the performance of our T5 engine. I haven’t really pushed it yet as it’s only done 900 miles but on the occasions where I’ve stretched its legs a bit and kicked down, the auto box changes down and the revs obviously rise as the car accelerates. So my thoughts turned to the torque curve. Max torque occurs at just 1800rpm which is way lower than the kick down point. So, as turbo engine cars have massive torque lower down, the only way to accelerate with maximum torque is by using the flappy paddles. Or am I taking rubbish due to cabin fever?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

PreservedKillick

Post by PreservedKillick »

You may have a point.

I have been playing with the kick down too and maybe because of the 8 speed transmission, the car perhaps selects a gear too low at kick-down. Whereas using the paddle to drop one or two down instead of the third one down that the auto box programme is smoother and hits the torque spot at the right time?
XC40 T5 R Design Pro AWD Polestar
Chsahajarose

Post by Chsahajarose »

It’s interesting nobody else has commented on this thread. I went from a Golf R with masses of torque throughout, and blink quick auto shifts, to the XC40 T5 with comparably lethargic auto shifts in a heavier car. So took it as ‘this is the way it is’.

Now i have a courtesy V90 T5 Cross-Country and the auto gear shift and ‘foot flat’ acceleration feels MUCH smoother and a little quicker.

From the same engine and presumably same gearbox, it make me doubt the XC40 is built/configured correctly. So when I return to get my XC40 back I’ll be asking the dealer guys to drive back to back and see of there is anything in it..
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Chsahajarose wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:39 pm It’s interesting nobody else has commented on this thread. I went from a Golf R with masses of torque throughout, and blink quick auto shifts, to the XC40 T5 with comparably lethargic auto shifts in a heavier car. So took it as ‘this is the way it is’.

Now i have a courtesy V90 T5 Cross-Country and the auto gear shift and ‘foot flat’ acceleration feels MUCH smoother and a little quicker.

From the same engine and presumably same gearbox, it make me doubt the XC40 is built/configured correctly. So when I return to get my XC40 back I’ll be asking the dealer guys to drive back to back and see of there is anything in it..
Have you tried the same foot down in the different modes? in my T5 the difference between comfort (used 99% of the time) and dynamic is massive.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Oakview

Post by Oakview »

I invested in the polestar software upgrade which makes it a great responsive Acceleration – definitely better than my 4.2 litre TwinTurbo Q7
XC40 FE | MY19 (cancelled MY18.5 order) | T5 AWD | Crystal White | took on order March, arrived 5th September : :D : |