Recall

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Just received a letter saying Model Year 2019 to 2020 vehicles (it does not refer to any particular model, just the year) could have problems with the Automatic Emergency Brake System not always engaging due to a software issue. Workshop visit required to install updated software. Does this constitute an "essential journey" under the current house arrest rules I wonder. Do we risk a fine from a grumpy copper and get it done or not go and risk an accident when we are out on other "essential journeys"? Decisions, decisions!

Warning Triangle Man

Post by Warning Triangle Man »

The key word is the word essential.

There have been and are many cars without emergency braking systems; you just have to use your eyes and foot to brake as required.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Also I believe the vast majority of Volvo workshops are closed for the time being.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Bhowani

Post by Bhowani »

By chance my XC40 was serviced 18th March 2020. On enquiring with Volvo UK on the number shown on the letter, I was informed by a nice young lady that my service included the recall matter as it went live on 12th March 2020.

64 round trip not needed: my dealer is in lockdown unless an emergency!

Well done Volvo!
2019 XC40 T4 - Denim Blue
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Bhowani wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:43 pm ......as it went live on 12th March 2020.
Good to know thanks. Mine was serviced on 17/3, so should be covered.

Thanks heaven for the visible (start/stop symbols) changes as I wouldn't have immediately realised they'd failed to update mine & would've probably been on lockdown before I'd realised - not all Volvo dealers are infallible.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Bam Boo

Post by Bam Boo »

Received my recall letter this morning. I have my first service planned for September, if we're out of lockdown, so I'll wait until then to have the software updates.

In the mean time I have my eyes to see, and my feet to brake.

The letter says that normal braking is fine and not an issue.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Reassuring to see that you all have such good lightning reflexes when the entirely unexpected happens. Obviously Volvo wasted their time and added unnecessary extra expense to the car with the Automatic EMERGENCY brake system. I hope none of you finds out the hard way when it fails.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

My car was booked in for Monday 4 May well before the lockdown. Rang today assuming it had been cancelled only to find that service and recall work going ahead and they are collecting the car from my home as planned! They have started honouring pre booked appointments. Absolutely delighted well done Waterhouse Chelmsford.
Reg Istration

Post by Reg Istration »

Garages for service and essential work were never obliged to shut. It was always their decision on a safety for workers basis.
aj05

Post by aj05 »

The Volvo dealer I use seems to have a good compromise the servicing dept working, the car sales closed with online video of cars for sale available to view