Knocking sound in the rain

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gtest

Post by gtest »

I got a new problem.
In heavy rain there is a knocking sound (tok-tok-tok...) At the right side of de car.
I only have it at speeds +110km/h and in heavy rain.
I dry weather everything is fine !
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)

Captain Slog

Post by Captain Slog »

Hi,
I just bought my XC40 and also noticed this noise, sounds like a flat tyre. Strange as it is only in heavy rain. I intend to contact my dealer on Monday. Watch this space.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Could it be the wiper blade hitting the bodywork at the end of the wiper stroke? So I take it the wiper is on the fastest speed and as the rain is lashing down, the screen to wiper resistance would be at its lowest, possibly causing the issue?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

Do you have a sunroof ?
If so, in heavy rain at motorway speeds the water drain vents can start to make strange noises.
gtest

Post by gtest »

I will check the wipers and the sunroof as soon as I get back on the motorway ...and in heavy rain.
To bad it is a few days dry now.

Will report as soon as I get more information.

Thx for the help and suggestions.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

I had the same noise in very heavy rain, will monitoring issue and report back, as and when.
Cultergolfer

Post by Cultergolfer »

This is a known fault with sunroof. Your dealer should be aware of it and fix it FOC - mine did. 68 T4 Inscription.
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

Cultergolfer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:15 pm This is a known fault with sunroof. Your dealer should be aware of it and fix it FOC - mine did. 68 T4 Inscription.
Do you know what they did to fix it ?
ploscnicu

Post by ploscnicu »

Have the same sound, car has sunroof, thought is related to water drainage or something like that in the wheel compartiment. Still didin't found then problem.
gtest

Post by gtest »

After months now with the first rain in got the knocking sound back. Sadly I could not test where the sounds is coming from. I hope there will be a solution....
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)