Knocking sound in the rain

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
squint

Post by squint »

There are many Facebook threads relating to this.
From memory a drainage tube is the problem- I think it’s a simple fix.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps

gtest

Post by gtest »

squint wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:50 pm There are many Facebook threads relating to this.
Could not find anything (yet) on Facebook. Only on YouTube a drainage unclogging. Nothing related to the knocking noise.
Would you have links?
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
Manitoba

Post by Manitoba »

Is the sound coming from the top right corner of the dashboard? that's where the water drains off. Maybe it's vibrating a little, because the tube might not placed deep enough in the rubber pipe.

(p.s if u have the same sound at the front left or back left and right. There are also drains.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese
gtest

Post by gtest »

In my case I think more front the right side. But the trip was to short.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
squint

Post by squint »

gtest wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:20 pm
squint wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:50 pm There are many Facebook threads relating to this.
Could not find anything (yet) on Facebook. Only on YouTube a drainage unclogging. Nothing related to the knocking noise.
Would you have links?
The link does not seem to work on this forum. I have attached a screenshot from the Volvo XC40 Club Facebook page - maybe if you visit the page you can view it.

IMG_7240.PNG

The video may be similar to your experience.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
gtest

Post by gtest »

squint wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:24 am
gtest wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:20 pm
Would you have links?
The link does not seem to work on this forum. I have attached a screenshot from the Volvo XC40 Club Facebook page - maybe if you visit the page you can view it.IMG_7240.PNG The video may be similar to your experience.

I try to visit the page.
But have to say it is not a gurgling sound but a real loud knocking sound. About 2 times a second...
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
ElectricGhost

Post by ElectricGhost »

Although this seems to be a known fault amongst Volvo owners, my dealer tells me that (a) he can find nothing wrong and (b) it does not appear in any of the Technical Journals. Indeed, when I pushed to get the issued solved, his suggestion was to go to another Volvo dealer. Does anyone know where this might be mentioned in a Volvo Technical Bulletin (preferably a UK one)?
squint

Post by squint »

Carloxc40

Post by Carloxc40 »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and loving my xc40. I had the knocking/ flapping noise in heavy rain which was very Annoying. I mentioned the issue to my local Volvo dealer when the car went in for the update. They rebooked in the car and did a Modification to the drains and there no noise any more. 🙂🙂🙂
gtest

Post by gtest »

Hi, did they mention witch drains they modified?
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)