Creaking noise when pulling away and stopping

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

This is common in the V40 too - creaking when feathering the brake in drive when moving off and stopping.

I've found it can easily be avoided. Basically the point at which it creaks isn't of any use, at that stage you should either release it slightly if you want to move or depress it slightly if you don't. Only by holding it at that point does it creak, but you shouldn't need to. It doesn't long take to learn instinctively not to let it creak.

Perhaps it's Volvo's way of saying "Oi! Do you want to stay or go? Because you're right on the edge and it's not very safe to hold it here."
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel

matthewjhd

Post by matthewjhd »

My Black Inscription T3 (red oxide seats), acquired just before Christmas 2019, developed the creaking. The dealer seems to have fixed the problem for now, which was described as 'Torqued front antirollbar drop links'. In English, I believe that means the connectors (drop links) between the front antirollbar and the suspension were either slightly too tight or too loose and have now been adjusted.
Bav

Post by Bav »

I had a loud creaking noise at low speed on mine. It was most noticeable below 25mph and was not related to brakes or steering as it did it when neither were being used. It went into my local dealer and they found that they had to replace both front droplinks on the anti roll bar due to play. It has totally fixed the issue and its no longer making the noise however I would not expect this on a new car with only 2,500 miles on the clock!!