Creaking noise when pulling away and stopping

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Ragsy1

Post by Ragsy1 »

Hi
I’ve taken ownership of a new XC40 last week and from when I drove it off the forecourt it has an intermittent creaking noise when I pull away or when I stop, also when reversing the creak becomes more prominent when I turn the steering wheel. It’s been In the garage today to be looked at only to be told ‘that’s what volvo’s do’ it’s the braking system.....any ideas?

DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Sounds to me like you have the auto brake on - I turn this off when parking. I turn it back on once I have pulled away from my garage.

Are you leaving auto brake on all the time?
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

There is a video on Facebook that has a video making a noise like you describe. My car does it. It’s down to the top mounts I think. I’m useless at linking videos etc. In the clip, the guy is just turning the steering and it sounds very creaky.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

See if this works...

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Dermottdog wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:12 pm See if this works...

Obviously not😡
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Ok, try this...

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

My D3R has this, now about a year and a half old with 8.5K miles. My previous car a 'C' class merc was the same.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

ACertainAge wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:32 am My D3R has this, now about a year and a half old with 8.5K miles. My previous car a 'C' class merc was the same.
One of the guys had this too (not sure if on here or another forum) and he sprayed some lubricant on the front top suspension mounts and the noise disappeared.

I know the OP said the car creaked on starting and stopping too. That could be the suspension loading and unloading. The fact that he mentions it does it when the steering is turned points away from the auto brake.

Mine does it to a make lesser degree.
Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

I’m on my 2nd XC40 and both have the creaking sound. I think it’s from the brakes just as you come to a stop or pull away. You can get it to do it by feathering the brake when Drive is engaged.
gtest

Post by gtest »

I am not sure if it is the same issue I had.
But mine had a terrible creaking noise from the brakes.
Volvo replaced all brake pads to comfort pads...result 95% of the noise was gone.
Is a known Volvo issue.
Ps: the pads were replaced under warranty.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)