Post by ukgulf »

Anyone had this message pop up?
2018 XC40 T5 AWD First Edition Fusion Red 20" Wheel upgrade

Deleted User 2525

Post by Deleted User 2525 »

At least once a week !

The car's manual says:
---------------------------
In rare situations, the power steering may need to work at reduced power, and turning the steering wheel may then seem slightly heavier. This may occur when the power steering becomes too hot and then needs temporary cooling. It may also occur if the power supply is disrupted.

In the event of reduced power, the message Power steering Assistance temporarily reduced is shown, as well as a symbol in the driver display.

--------------------------

I wouldn't say it's a RARE occurrence though, it happens quite a lot. I've never noticed an effect on the power steering though, apart for the warning. It happens when I'm doing relatively innocuous manoeuvres - reversing onto my drive for instance.
ukgulf

Post by ukgulf »

Yes, I read that in the manual. Service due next week. We'll see what dealer say's. No way power steering was too hot today after a 5 minute run!
2018 XC40 T5 AWD First Edition Fusion Red 20" Wheel upgrade
abby606

Post by abby606 »

I get this message when parking at home sometimes, I reverse out of the drive straight onto the road then turn to follow the road. I think it doesn't like me turning the steering wheel so quickly.
mss911

Post by mss911 »

... I've seen this once or twice when reversing out of a drive that is slightly uphill & then having to spin the steering wheel to full lock to get onto the main road. Does this fit with anyone's observations ??
stu22

Post by stu22 »

mss911 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:25 pm ... I've seen this once or twice when reversing out of a drive that is slightly uphill & then having to spin the steering wheel to full lock to get onto the main road. Does this fit with anyone's observations ??
Yep, had exactly that....