Potential purchaser - bit scared off by IT issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Can I add that I've never experienced any of the negatives that @OldFace has, but I have had the full emergency stop process on a UK motorway and active lane switch prevention in France with a car sitting on my rear quarter, as the French do. Both times were justified and may not have avoided an incident but they certainly made sure. The tech is good, try it! Personally I've never known such a relaxing worry free drive, some might even call it boring but there are other cars if you want excitement.

Note - I'm not saying @OldFace is making things up, of course (s)he isn't but I suspect his active safety tech needs a spot of calibrating. Also, and this is no criticism, it's worth getting to know how the technology functions, I had to adjust from one manufacturers active safety and control tech to another's - they are not all the same!
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19

ThreeGraces

Post by ThreeGraces »

gt40 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:06 amCan I add that I've never experienced any of the negatives that @OldFace has, but I have had the full emergency stop process on a UK motorway and active lane switch prevention in France with a car sitting on my rear quarter, as the French do. Both times were justified and may not have avoided an incident but they certainly made sure.
I'll take that as a good thing, but tbh the tech bamboozles me, I don't even know what such things are :oops:

My old car is so simple and all cars have come on so much in the last decade that whatever car I buy will be a shock. The thought of having to swot up on manuals before I can even set off and then having a dashboard of incomprehensible messages doesn't thrill me, but maybe I'm just an old gimmer (no I'm not!). Even writing writing that down has made me realise a lot of my apprehension is just a bit of techno-fear, which is daft as I use IT in my work, just not doing 80mph on my todd at night miles from anywhere with no IT support on the end of the phone!

I actually like the concept of a boring (and importantly, safe) drive - maybe am an old gimmer after all!
gt40

Post by gt40 »

ThreeGraces wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:30 am

I actually like the concept of a boring (and importantly, safe) drive - maybe am an old gimmer after all!
Then you should buy a Volvo and put a bag of Werther's Originals in the door bin.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

gt40 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:26 pm
ThreeGraces wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:30 am

Then you should buy a Volvo and put a bag of Werther's Originals in the door bin.
That's where I am going wrong, I have lemon sherbets. :D :lol:
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.