Coasting

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

I think I can guess the answer, but is there any way to enable the coasting behaviour whilst in Comfort mode? I have my doubts that anything else in Eco mode really impacts on mpg, but coasting in any mode would be the biggest factor.
T5R Fusion Red 03/19

Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

Nope.. But you can just set up a new individual driving mode. Set the engine to be eco, and everything else either normal or dynamic.
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

What exactly does the "coasting" feature do to improve mpg, that doing exactly the same thing (taking your foot off going downhill) in comfort mode doesn't?

Think I need to do some research on the Eco speedometer, like why does the needle go right over to the right of the dial when you brake?
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

Free-wheel function Eco Coast

The freewheel function Eco Coast means in practice that engine braking ceases, meaning in turn that the car's kinetic energy is used to freewheel for longer distances. When the driver releases the accelerator pedal the gearbox is automatically disengaged from the engine whose speed is reduced to idling speed with reduced consumption.

The function is best used where it is possible to freewheel a long way, e.g. roads with a slight downhill gradient or when there is a predictable speed reduction to freewheel into a zone with a lower speed limit.
T5R Fusion Red 03/19
abby606

Post by abby606 »

Does it engine brake normally? I am pretty sure I've only ever felt this in Dynamic, maybe I'm not sensitive enough to discern it doing it in other drive modes.

I find the XC40 excellent at free-wheeling, I'm always having to brake when going down even a slight gradient because I'm catching up with the cars ahead (who aren't even braking) and I drive in Comfort all the time.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

To use engine breaking, you need to use the paddles (if you have RD trim) or go to manual and downshift. i tend to hit the paddle and get the car in 1st gear at about 2.5-3k revs on specific traffic queue slopes, and it breaks ok.
abby606 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:50 pm I find the XC40 excellent at free-wheeling, I'm always having to brake when going down even a slight gradient because I'm catching up with the cars ahead (who aren't even braking) and I drive in Comfort all the time.
Remember that unless the cars in front are SUVs too, you probably weight a good tonne more than them, so makes sense to catch more speed :)
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

I can definitely feel engine braking in Comfort mode, in D - no manual downshifting required. For example my car will slow from 30 to 25 on a moderate downhill if I lift off completely. I think the amount of braking available correlates to some extent with the amount of torque delivered by the engine.
T5R Fusion Red 03/19