Wireless Charging Solution

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

I bought a splitter/adapter for the cigarette lighter socket, giving 2 sockets and a couple of USB sockets as well, so my dashcam is permanently plugged in to it and I still have a spare socket. Much easier than trying to hard-wire the dashcam, and it fits neatly.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC

jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Gnomeface wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:06 pm I bought a splitter/adapter for the cigarette lighter socket, giving 2 sockets and a couple of USB sockets as well, so my dashcam is permanently plugged in to it and I still have a spare socket. Much easier than trying to hard-wire the dashcam, and it fits neatly.
Can i ask how you routed the wire from there to the camera? I am thinking about a dashcam but am wary of interfering with the operation of the airbags.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
White

Post by White »

I am about to buy a new phone, probably with a wireless charging facility. I am however confused, as all of the above seems to indicate that a separate wireless charging pad has to be bought and plugged into the 12v or usb socket. In the XC40 Owners manual page 485 it shows a wireless charging facility. Is this a standard feature in all XC40s or an extra to be ordered as an original option. i.e. I don't know if I have this or not!
Volvo XC40, T4, R-Design Pro, AWD, Automatic, Thunder Cloud Grey
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

White wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:57 pm I am about to buy a new phone, probably with a wireless charging facility. I am however confused, as all of the above seems to indicate that a separate wireless charging pad has to be bought and plugged into the 12v or usb socket. In the XC40 Owners manual page 485 it shows a wireless charging facility. Is this a standard feature in all XC40s or an extra to be ordered as an original option. i.e. I don't know if I have this or not!
It’s an option I’m afraid. 🙁

I didn’t see the point personally. Your phone charges via the pad but still has to be plugged in to give CarPlay or Android Auto?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

Jamie - I fixed the dashcam to the top of the windscreen about 4 inches to the left of the central binnacle. The wire runs along the top edge of the screen (held by thin lengthways strips of black insulating tape until I find something better) then directly round the A-pillar and under the rubber door seal , then down to the footwell under the rubber - the easiest part! Then I took it round behind the bonnet release and under the passenger carpet, bringing it up close to the centre console. Finally, because there was a fair bit of extra cable I took it back between the passenger seat and the centre tunnel, round the passenger seat belt stalk (leaving enough slack for seat movement) and forward again before bringing it up over the edge and into the front of the centre console itself. I used a bit of black insulating tape in places just to secure it.

It's virtually invisible and not likely to get accidentally knocked, and can be totally removed if necessary without leaving any signs that it was there.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC