Wireless Charging Solution

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
sm1thy23

Post by sm1thy23 »

I'm due a new phone in the next month or so and will have wireless charging, when i spec'd my XC40 I didnt add in the wireless charging pad!

Thinking i can just plug in a wireless charging pad to the USB and et voila its done, anyone else done this/any recomendations for charging pads that fit nicely?
XC40 R-Design T4 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

i’m in a similar position and i’d love to know if this is possible - i didn’t spec it as i didn’t realise my phone had this option but i’m sure an upgrade so.....
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Remember seeing a thread somewhere where the owner installed an aftermarket pad in the Volvo dash location, may have been on one of the Facebook XC40 groups?
FreshStart

Post by FreshStart »

I just have a single USB socket in my XC40 so I use that for a USB keydrive with my music on.

I plug my phone into the cigarette lighter socket, or 12v charging socket as they call them now!!
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

I bought a charging pad off eBay for a couple of quid.
If you look at the attached photos you can see it fits in the same place as the wireless charger option would go, but it does fit a bit further in (I moved it out slightly so you can see it). I then plug it into a spare USB port for charging.
I’ve got a Samsung S9 plus that fits in there Ok.

I did buy another charging pad along with a replacement rubber mat with half a mind to glue the pad underneath and hardwire the power in, but decided life’s too short to mess around with it.
I also use Android Auto, which requires the cable to be plugged in anyway so it sort of defeats the point.

E489B1E8-BE25-4293-9D75-AD0B1F220D49.jpeg

383FE35F-04BA-4057-A796-F562C5D62213.jpeg

DB2k

Post by DB2k »

Car play currently doesn't work wirelessly so the wireless charging pad in mine is a bit redundant, unless I have my work phone with me so that can be charged at the same time. However the dealer did say there were a spate of people reporting phones overheating as people were putting them on the wireless charging pad, and plugging them in so I am careful to keep mine to the side of the inductive charging pad.
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
sm1thy23

Post by sm1thy23 »

For me its more because I charge my phone in the car but am often in and out of it and the faff of plugging it in is something that i want to avoid if possible!
XC40 R-Design T4 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

NitramA wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:16 pm I bought a charging pad off eBay for a couple of quid.
If you look at the attached photos you can see it fits in the same place as the wireless charger option would go, but it does fit a bit further in (I moved it out slightly so you can see it). I then plug it into a spare USB port for charging.
I’ve got a Samsung S9 plus that fits in there Ok.

I did buy another charging pad along with a replacement rubber mat with half a mind to glue the pad underneath and hardwire the power in, but decided life’s too short to mess around with it.
I also use Android Auto, which requires the cable to be plugged in anyway so it sort of defeats the point.
thanks for the pics - definite food for thought!
Gears

Post by Gears »

I would recommend if using a wireless charging pad that you power it via the cigarette lighter. I don't know the USB spec for the XC40 but it's very common for these to only be either 1A or 500mA. It will work fine, but rather slowly. Fast charging I think requires 2.4A or so from the top of my head? But if you're not bothered about charging speed I appreciate using the USB port is neater.
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

Gears wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:09 am I would recommend if using a wireless charging pad that you power it via the cigarette lighter. I don't know the USB spec for the XC40 but it's very common for these to only be either 1A or 500mA. It will work fine, but rather slowly. Fast charging I think requires 2.4A or so from the top of my head? But if you're not bothered about charging speed I appreciate using the USB port is neater.

That’s already occupied by the dashcam plug! (That’s another thing I was going to hardwire in but haven’t got round to doing)