Remote Start Cabin, Seat, Steering Wheel Heating

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Tartansporran

Post by Tartansporran »

So, now chillier times are here I have tried a few early morning remote starts. Although I have been pleasantly surprised to find my windscreen defrosted, I am a bit confused as to why the cabin has not been warmed up. Additionally, what do you have to do to ensure the heated seats and steering wheel are on?
Many Thanks.
XC40 D4 R-Design Pro First Edition, Osmium Grey, 19” Wheels

DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

The heated seats and heated steering wheel are controlled from the settings - from memory its under climate (will check when next in the car). I have mine set to 1 out of 3 so when the temperature is under 10 degrees and I remote start the car my seat is warm. As it gets colder may up the level.

Hope that helps.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Tartansporran

Post by Tartansporran »

DarrenF wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:04 pm The heated seats and heated steering wheel are controlled from the settings - from memory its under climate (will check when next in the car). I have mine set to 1 out of 3 so when the temperature is under 10 degrees and I remote start the car my seat is warm. As it gets colder may up the level.

Hope that helps.
Under Climate settings there is indeed an option to select heated seats/wheel for Auto Start Hi/Med/Lo. With this selected, when I get into my car and start it with an outside air temp <10C then my seats/wheel will immediately start to heat up. However, they will not pre-heat on a remote start. The only way I have found to get around this (so far) is to select the heated seats/wheel to ON before I switch off the engine after a previous journey. This seems a bit of a faff.
XC40 D4 R-Design Pro First Edition, Osmium Grey, 19” Wheels
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Tartansporran wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:39 pm
DarrenF wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:04 pm The heated seats and heated steering wheel are controlled from the settings - from memory its under climate (will check when next in the car). I have mine set to 1 out of 3 so when the temperature is under 10 degrees and I remote start the car my seat is warm. As it gets colder may up the level.

Hope that helps.
Under Climate settings there is indeed an option to select heated seats/wheel for Auto Start Hi/Med/Lo. With this selected, when I get into my car and start it with an outside air temp <10C then my seats/wheel will immediately start to heat up. However, they will not pre-heat on a remote start. The only way I have found to get around this (so far) is to select the heated seats/wheel to ON before I switch off the engine after a previous journey. This seems a bit of a faff.
Like most people ( I am sure) I have played about with a lot of settings, my certainly were heated when I did remote start. I am 90% sure they were as I had put both to 1 bar and forgot about it.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Gears

Post by Gears »

The reason your cabin isn't heated (ignoring seats/wheel) under remote start is because there is nothing to generate heat with. Your climate heat comes from a heat exchanger that using your engine's coolant to warm the air coming into the cabin. 15 minutes at idle is not enough time to warm the coolant to a level that can be used to heat the cabin.

This is why it takes a few minutes before you get warm air coming through when you drive your car. If you leave the climate on auto, the system should also not blow air much at all while the engine is cold, as it will only be able to push cold air so what is the point. Not sure if Volvo does this, but some other cars definitely do.
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

annoyingly the swedish version comes with a heater but we didn't get that in the uk :(
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

The passenger seat switches on when temp drops. The drivers seat isn’t working bout hopefully will be fixed next week. As for the heating of the cabin, a lot of cars these days have an ‘on demand water pump’. This means (I think) that the coolant warms up much quicker. I would have thought that when using the remote start option, 10+ mins is enough to give some sort of warm air flow into the cabin.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.