Jacking points

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Perky

Post by Perky »

Has anybody actually used the jack with the spare wheel? The jacking point is marked by a small arrowhead on the plastic skirt behind which the plastic has been cut out. However, all I can see is the painted metal to slot into the jack's head. Won't the jack damage the paintwork under the car, the worst place for developing rust?
T4 AWD Oct 2019

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I think Motor Manufactures take things like this into account. The car, although built in Belgium and part of a Chinese group know a thing or two about corrosion. Swedish winters ain’t exactly mild so I’m sure everything is sorted in that department.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Bhowani

Post by Bhowani »

I have had to change one wheel after a puncture. If you get down really low, you can see where the jacking point is, BEYOND the plastic trim bits.
But boy does the wheel weigh "a ton". Get help if you need it!

Bhowani (Three score + 10 plus a bit!)
2019 XC40 T4 - Denim Blue
Perky

Post by Perky »

Bhowani wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:28 pm I have had to change one wheel after a puncture. If you get down really low, you can see where the jacking point is, BEYOND the plastic trim bits.
But boy does the wheel weigh "a ton". Get help if you need it!

Bhowani (Three score + 10 plus a bit!)
Thanks!

Is it the exposed painted part of the chassis where the two metal sheets are? does that slot into the gap at the top of the jack?
T4 AWD Oct 2019
Bhowani

Post by Bhowani »

Perky,
In a word yes. I have crawled underneath.........

Outer length of plastic is the door bottom, measure 5" inwards from the next plastic covered strip and there's the jacking point. Unlike many "older" cars, the jacking pad, as it were, is only just wider than the male bit on the jack supplied by Volvo, so you can't slide it for and aft as we used to be able to do!

Have fun, and may you not have to change a wheel over the holiday season! The GREAT point is the little plastic sleeves that now cover the wheel bolts - and they give you some spare ones too.

Bhowani
2019 XC40 T4 - Denim Blue
Perky

Post by Perky »

Thanks for that. Very Useful.
T4 AWD Oct 2019