Paint work issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Perky

Post by Perky »

The car is 6 weeks old and I have washed it thoroughly for the first time. There are two areas on the paint work (inside the door pillars) where I suspect were impurities within the paint- look like tiny cotton threads that have been painted over!
My question is:
Would you get these fixed under the warranty? My concern is that any such work will require scrubbing and re-spray. Based on my past experience, any re-spray of the paint work will never ever be the same as the manufacturer's paint application both in terms of longevity and look.

In addition, I have noticed a small deep scratch (metal not visible) about one inch in length on the side of the bonnet. I am sure this was done either at the factory or by the dealership. Again I don't know what I should do, whether to get it fixed or leave it as it is? Very hard to see the scratch but it can just about be felt. What would you do?
T4 AWD Oct 2019

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

What colour is your car? I too have a small defect just above the passenger side door handle. It’s almost like my wife (I’ve got to blame someone) has caught it with her finger nail as she has grabbed hold of the handle getting in. Being Crystal White, it hardly notices. I think that’s why I went with the colour. It lends itself to masking defects because the primer is always a light colour underneath the top coat. All the other cars I’ve owned, when scratched, show the white or light primer. Up there for thinking, down there for dancing.....
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

My previous white car, a VW, had a black undercoat. So chips and scratches always showed.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Number6 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:31 pm My previous white car, a VW, had a black undercoat. So chips and scratches always showed.
Ah ok. Blue Nova, Red Cavalier, Red Golf, Blue Golf, Silver Golf, Gold Mini, Orange Mini - all had white primer. Are you sure your VW hadn’t had a re-spray and the white primer was underneath the black😛
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Bought it new, so no respray. Definitely black or dark grey under the white. Lots of small stone chips all showing black! Good car though, better quality than my latest.
Perky

Post by Perky »

Dermottdog wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:42 pm What colour is your car? I too have a small defect just above the passenger side door handle. It’s almost like my wife (I’ve got to blame someone) has caught it with her finger nail as she has grabbed hold of the handle getting in. Being Crystal White, it hardly notices. I think that’s why I went with the colour. It lends itself to masking defects because the primer is always a light colour underneath the top coat. All the other cars I’ve owned, when scratched, show the white or light primer. Up there for thinking, down there for dancing.....
My car is also white and that was exactly the reason I went for a white. Any other colour (even silver) shows scratches more. The downside is of course you only notice them when you wash and dry the car yourself. It is annoying but I doubt it will be a problem long term, just annoying.
T4 AWD Oct 2019