Creaking - transmission or suspension...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gmdh555

Post by gmdh555 »

Had a niggling issue since a couple of months after receiving my XC40 which the dealer wasn't able to resolve. Basically, it makes an audible creak when auto-stopping or starting (i.e. when stationary), and often when shifting in the lowest gears. When the dealer investigated, they changed some suspension mounts or similar at the front but returned it to me with no improvement having been made. I've done my best to ignore it through this year, mainly as it's a fair distance to the nearest dealership, however it would be good to know if anyone else came across this and found a solution. Fun fact, I think it started happening soon after I negotiated some sizeable speed humps in the works car park.
T5R Fusion Red 03/19

Jaolchhu4

Post by Jaolchhu4 »

I had an annoying squeak that felt like it was a suspension problem which actually turned out to be the dog net I'd set up in the rear boot compartment. Some WD 40/Volvo silicon spray by the dealer resolved the problem for me completely thankfully.
XC40 D4 FE Stone Black 20" Alloys
Perky

Post by Perky »

I have also noticed a creaking noise from under the car. It is noticeable at slow speed, when about to start moving or crawling at slow speed. I noticed when the car is stationary and I go through the different drive modes, I can hear it. It must be something to do with the transmission.

Interestingly, I can't hear it when the car is cold, it comes on when the car warms up and I have done some distance. My car is only 2 months old with 1100 miles.

I don't think I will do anything about at this stage. I am going to wait until the service. If it has been causing a damage, it will be easier to identify then. I don't trust any of their mechanics. If Volvo has not got it right, what hope is there for them!

Another noise and annoyance added to the list...
T4 AWD Oct 2019
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I’ve just noticed mine doing this. When cold and first driven, it’s silent. After a few miles, a faint noise appears. If you park up and turn off, the noise (best described as a creek), can still be produced if the steering wheel is rocked back and forth. Not a massive issue and I will mention it when the car goes in for its 3 month check and driver seat heater not working investigation.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
hulsenbeek

Post by hulsenbeek »

Hi all,

I have a similar issue but it is not a creak, but more a clunk (does anyone have a reference list for clicks, rattles, clunks, creaks :D).

When using the car and with start/stop enabled, I get an intermittent clunk noise. I have managed to narrow it down to certain movements. The sound pops up many times when I want to parallel park. I drive to a spot. Stop the car. The start/stop kills the engine. I engage the reverse gear. Take my foot of the brake and when I then press the gas to start the parallel park, I hear a clear metal on metal clunk.

I had the dealer look into it but they could not find anything.

Anyone has a similar issue?

Cheers,

Bas
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

This is normal. I had it on a 2019my D3R and just the same with a 2022 my B4.
hulsenbeek

Post by hulsenbeek »

Thanks for the quick response! And good to hear that I am not the only one.

Cheers!
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

My '21 B4 doesn't make this noise! From what you have mentioned I'd suspect the brakes not quite releasing from autohold.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
hulsenbeek

Post by hulsenbeek »

Felindre wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:55 am My '21 B4 doesn't make this noise! From what you have mentioned I'd suspect the brakes not quite releasing from autohold.
Once the start/stop is engaged and I lift my foot of the brake, the car starts crawling. Only after I press the accelerator to create some speed, I hear the clunk. So it feels like the brakes are not involved.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Start/Stop and Auto hold are linked, are you using Auto Hold (Green handbrake icon lights when stopped)?